Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2018 College Congrats! Let's Celebrate!

Momof3darlings

The time is here! We want to celebrate, congratulate and share in the joy of our parents, dancers and even teachers who have students reaching the goals of one of the following: Ballet trained dancers attending colleges in dance related majors, Ballet trained dancers attending college in other majors but continuing to dance

The purpose of this thread is to congratulate those who have accepted and are attending either a Ballet specific college program for the fall or plan to attend college and dance on the side while majoring in another subject.

We ask that our College bound wait to share until they have made a FINAL decision where they are going. We do not want this thread to become a string of acceptances and scholarship information. We want to celebrate your transition into the academic world and that includes your decision on an actual offer to take. Teachers, please have permission of your parent/dancer to post.

In prior years, this thread has not only been used to celebrate, but also to track, confirm and debunk some of the "beliefs" out there about who and how college decisions are made. So we do ask that you share a bit about your journey without too many specifics. This helps our younger members see the wide variety of training, acceptances, etc. that come from our membership. We understand that we are but a very small segment of the ballet world here at BTFD, but over time, we've learned that we can see trends within our membership.  Feel free to post and share the actual college or not, that is up to you!

Feel free to either write the information in paragraph form or use the guideline we've developed over time.

So as coined by one of our members, Let the "Contractuballetions" begin:

(Sample form)

Main/Most recent training: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to)

Level of school completed: high school grad, partial college, college grad

Audition method: SI audition, YAGP, video, on site

School attending: major or minor

Position process/progress: graduating high school, or attending after being a Trainee or professional dancer for a time.

Words of wisdom about the process/decisions:  

Lady Elle

Okay, I'll be the first to start this years thread.  Looking forward to seeing what decisions all those who I've PM'd and talked through this process with are sending their dk's.

Main/Most recent training: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to)     LDI, small local school

Level of school completed: brick n mortar highschool

Audition method:  live audition

School attending:  OU, BFA and possible business minor or double major

Position process/progress: graduating high school

Words of wisdom about the process/decisions:   I never thought I would say this but visit campus/program if at all possible.  We were able to see a few performances which were very helpful for my daughter to make her decision.  Make sure your student is doing great academically and if possible, get SAT/ACT prep courses so scores will be as high as possible.  This is help a lot in academic scholarships.  We did not do that as she is so busy training, but we could really use more $$ 😩.  Go through all the resources here on BTFD for information and reviews of programs your interested in. 

dcns

Congratulations!  Boomer Sooner!  OU is a special place, I hope she enjoys her time there!

glissade_jete

Congratulations, Lady Elle! I wish your daughter all the best at OU! Boomer!

Amie

Congrats to you and your DD Lady Elle!

tutumama

Congratulation to your daughter on making a choice and best of luck to her! Hopefully posting by April 1st.

dancingjet

Congrats on making a decision! 

cat11

Congratulations!  Sounds like a wonderful choice!

julisha

Congratulations to you Lady Elle and to your DD!  

Main/Most recent training: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to) Performing Arts Boarding School for all four years of high school

Level of school completed:  High school grad

Audition method: On site

School attending: SUNY-Purchase, BFA in Dance

Position process/progress:  Graduating high school

Words of wisdom about the process/decisions:  1)  Research  (even better have your DK research) ALL programs to determine the BEST fit for your dancer.  A strictly ballet based program may not have enough modern, contemporary or choreographic offerings in their program and likewise, a modern program may not have enough ballet.  Make a pros/cons list to compare programs.  Find the right balance for your dancer.  2)  Don't just apply to "prestigious" programs-I think someone did a great thread on this.  3) Visit the programs and the campuses when you can and see the student performances.   4) Audition on campus whenever possible. DD found that her best auditions were the smaller, focused campus auditions, instead of the cattle call regional auditions.  5) Ask questions of this Board, other parents that have been through it, current dancers, faculty, etc. 6) Use the Dance Magazine College Guide as a reference.  We found it to be helpful, along with BT4D!  7) Stay positive and supportive of your DK.  The college process can be particularly stressful for DKs, with performances, rehearsals, academic classes, standardized testing, application deadlines, auditions for college programs as well as SIs and peer pressure from other dancers going through the same thing.  

tutumama

Congratulations to you and your daughter, julisha

How wonderful that she has decided on a program and I completely concur with your "words of wisdom."

Momof3darlings

Wonderful news Julisha!  Congratulations to you both!

dancingjet

Julisha congratulations on making a decision!

dcns

Congratulations Julisha!  I have a friend whose daughter is graduating from Suny this year.  She has been very happy with the program.

julisha

Thank you tutumama, Momof3darlings, dcns, and dancingjet!

Amie

Congrats, Julisha!