Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2018 Post Grad/Trainee Congratulations

Momof3darlings

The time is here! While it's still early for Trainees, conferences are beginning for current Ballet Company members. We want to celebrate, congratulate and share in the joy of our parents, dancers and even teachers who have students reaching the goals of one of the following: Post Grad Program or Trainee program at a Company related school

The purpose of this thread is to congratulate those who have accepted a position at a Post Grad Dance program for further study or a Trainee program that is professional school related for further study.

We ask that our Trainee/2nd company auditionees wait to share until they have made a FINAL decision where they are going. We do not want this thread to become a string of acceptances and scholarship information. We want to celebrate your transition into the professional world and that includes your decision on an actual offer to take. Teachers, please have permission of your parent/dancer to post.

In prior years, this thread has not only been used to celebrate, but also to track, confirm and debunk some of the "beliefs" out there about who and how contracts are received. So we do ask that you share a bit about your journey without too many specifics. This helps our younger members see the wide variety of training, acceptances, etc. that come from our membership. We understand that we are but a very small segment of the ballet world here at BTFD, but over time, we've learned that we can see trends within our membership.

Feel free to either write the information in paragraph form or use the guideline we've developed over time.

So as coined by one of our members, Let the "Contractuballetions" begin:

(Sample form)
: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to)
Level of school completed: high school grad, partial college, college grad
Audition method: SI audition, Company Class, Cattle Call, Video, YAGP, etc.
Position granted: Secured Trainee position as school, Trainee as company, Apprentice with pay or without, Corp, Soloist, etc.
Position process/progress: promoted from Trainee, promoted from Apprentice, from "outside", 2nd year in same position, etc.
If Trainee: School Trainee, Bridge Trainee or if 2nd company does it function as school/company
Location of company: US, Canada, Europe, etc., not the actual city or company itself unless you'd like to share
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? Yes/No, explain if necessary

What words of wisdom or reflection would you offer those coming after you?:  

slhogan

I am looking forward to reading about everyone's Post Grad/Trainee acceptances for next year! 

Someone has to go first, so I'll take the plunge (although it's just a re-invite and nothing new).  

Main/Most recent training: Currently a 1st Year Washington Ballet Studio Company dancer (Houston Ballet 10th & 11th grade, Harid Conservatory 12th grade)  

Level of school completed: High School Graduate

Audition Method: For current 1st year position: SI Audition + sent audition videos/pis/resume to both the company and school.  Received an invitation to take company class, then received a verbal offer after two days of class  

Position Granted: 2nd Year Studio Company Dancer, with verbal offer of a promotion into company the following year

Position Process: 2nd year in same position, offered during Spring Conference with the company AD

Position Function (school, company, etc): The Studio Company functions as an extension of the company, generally dancing the corps roles in company productions.  They also combine with the Trainees and some upper-division academy students to do their own performances 2-3 times per year.  

Location of Company: Washington DC

Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? No

What words of wisdom or reflection would you offer those coming after you?:  If your dancer finds himself/herself in the fortunate position of having multiple offers, go with the company that has the most supportive AD.  My son has had a wonderful year, and I strongly believe that much of that can be attributed to the fact that his AD (Julie Kent) is extremely kind, generous, supportive, and fair.  She sets a positive tone for the company, and that positive attitude has made a world of difference.  

As I mentioned above, it's just a re-invite, so nothing major.  But, I was very happy and relieved to hear that he has a verbal offer on being promoted into the company after completing his 2nd year in the Studio Company.   If you have a dancer in this "young-adult-transitioning-into-professional" stage, then you know how nerve-wracking it is wondering if their current internship-type position will lead to an actual company offer!  Obviously things could change between now and then, but it's good to know that he's on track.

NYCMOM

Congratulations to your son, slogan!  And to you!

millvillemurphs

Slhogan, that's wonderful to hear - not just about next year, but a plan for beyond that! Sounds like a program that is really investing in development of the dancers. 

dancingjet

Wow! That is fantastic! Congratulations to your son!

fun en face

Wonderful news! Congratulations to your DS!

Noodles

slhogan, thank you for sharing! Congrats to your son :-)

Suzie1

Great news, slhogan! Congratulations to you and your son.

Monet

Congratulation!!!!  Thanks for sharing!

learningdance

Such a great story and yes Julie Kent is amazing. 

Taxi dance

Congrats!

AdagioMom

Wow!  CongratulatIons to your son slhogan!!  I recall reading your posts over the last few years, I appreciate you sharing your journey here.  And how nice to have such great "results" from all the years of hard work, and parental support, help with decision making, etc.  

dancerdancer

Congratulations slhogan! I'm glad your son has enjoyed his time there, and that he is receiving such positive indicators about his future with the company. Thanks for sharing!

Immashel

Congratulations and I do agree that it is so important to have a supportive, honest and generally good AD

rosetwirl

Congrats, Slhogan, so happy for you! 🎉⭐️🎉⭐️🎉⭐️🎉⭐️🎉