Ballet Talk for Dancers
BeautifulBalance

Advice for a possible career...

BeautifulBalance

Hello,

I am in need of some advice...

I would like to pursue a professional career in classical ballet, I have the body, flexibility, turnout, okay-ish feet in order to do so BUT...

Though I started ballet at a young age I did not start training seriously until I was quite a bit older, 15 to be exact. I kept that up for two years and then due to health and financial problems I had to stop. Now, at age 19, I am dancing again. At this point, I am behind technically to many of my peers and the current classes I take are an intermediate and not advanced level. I am only training 3 hours a week because of financial limitations but will start training more in the summer i.e. 15+ hours. The dilemma I have is where to train. I was planning on attending a SI in NYC and am hoping to get into their full time training program but my Mom is asking me why I can't get my teachers to teach me and can't I get good enough teachers to teach me here, isn't it less expensive, pay for privates etc. The school I go to is very good, but I don't know that anyone has become a professional directly upon finishing from that school and I feel I would need a definite "yes this is professional training" in order to have a chance? I will be talking with my teachers soon...but any advice would help immensely...

Thanks!

vrsfanatic

BeautifulBalance we wish you all the best in your pursuit however you do know your voyage may be a difficult one. You need more training as soon as you can get it. Hopefully your teachers will advise you  to your best interest. Without seeing you, it is difficult to say more than if you have the talent, go for it. Time is not in your favor, but tenacity can win in the long run,

BeautifulBalance

Thank you vrsfanatic for the encouragement...I don't necessarily have the finances for training but I can make it work. As far as perseverance I have always been a stubborn person ;).

Hopefully my teachers will have some advice...but do you think a bigger name school that trains dancers at the more elite level would be more beneficial to me than classes/private lessons with my current teachers? Just curious what would be most important. 

Victoria Leigh

BeautifulBalance, we really can't answer that because we cannot know the quality and professionalism of your current training. Maybe visit some larger schools and observe  classes?  You need a basis of comparison for your training.  Attending an SI would be good, but you will need, at 19, to qualify for a top level in most programs. 

BeautifulBalance

Thank you for responding Ms. Leigh. Would it be possible for me to message you privately? I think giving you more details such as the name of where I currently train etc. might be helpful but wasn't sure if I should post such things in "public."  

Victoria Leigh

I don’t think it’s a good idea to post that info in public, and you are new here so do not yet have private messaging privilege. If you write to Contact Us that will come directly to me. 😊

BeautifulBalance

Thank you Ms. Leigh! 

Just sent you a message through the contact form.

If anyone else has anything to add feel free. :)