Ballet Talk for Dancers
lilycohen

Taking a Break

lilycohen

Unfortunately, I have been forced to take a break from dance until further notice from my doctors. I am very upset. I don't know what to do with myself and this free time without getting sad missing the studio. Any suggestions?:huh:

Victoria Leigh

You go to to classes and watch, take notes, and LEARN. You mention in your profile a teaching interest, so watching classes is one way to learn a lot about teaching as well as learning about your own work. Study what works and what doesn’t, what corrections work, why do they work or not work, etc. etc. etc. There is a great deal that can be learned by watching! Study the work ethic of the students who are progressing well, as opposed to some who are not. Study their attitude in class. Study how the teachers handle the different students. You can learn a lot from both positive and negative things. 👍

skyisdancing

There are times where I am unable to go to class from injuries and etc, during those times, I will go and I will watch class! You can learn a lot from watching other dancers in class. I have a ballet notebook and I will write down things my teachers say or corrections that they give others! I bring a stretchy band with me too so I can do foot exercises to keep the strength in my feet for pointe, because after not doing pointe for a while and starting up again, it’s not very comfortable! My teacher also a lot of times repeats combinations in class so I usually write them down as well to go over them at home! :)

lilycohen

Thank you very much!!