Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ashleymckim

Repetitive Arch Pain

Ashleymckim

Wondering if anyone can help me out here? For the past 2 years I have constantly had arch pain in my right foot. I have since improved my technique, such as having my weight forward, but I still have the arch pain. It seems that the pain gets worse throughout a semester of dancing, and becomes very painful a week or 2 before a break. The pain isn’t in the heel, so I don’t think it is plantar fasciitis. I have tried icing, elevating, heating, and several other remedies for my foot, but none have provided anything except for temporary relief. I really just want to make sure that this isn’t a big problem that could effect me later in life.

Victoria Leigh

Hello Ashley, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. 😀

I'm sorry, but your question needs to be answered by an orthopedic physician. You have done all the right things to try and improve it, but it’s been recurring for way too long.  We are not qualified to diagnose this. 

I would like to ask you to please introduce yourself in the Welcome forum and tell us more about you and your life in ballet!  Also, you have registered using your real name, and that is not something we recommend for your own protection online. If you write to Contact Us and send me three choices for a different display name I can change it for you. 

Ashleymckim

Yes I have rolled out my foot with tennisballs and golfballs, and I have done epsom soaks. I think it’s also important to mention that the pain goes away after a break from dancing, so that’s why I’ve been hesitant to see a doctor. 

Edited by Ashleymckim

aspirant_dancer

It has helped me in the past to not only roll out the arches themselves but to also pay attention to my calves.  When I had recurring arch pain last year, I spent time rolling out my calves and it helped a lot.

dancemaven

A Parent knowingly posted in the Young Dancers’ Forum and the post was removed per BT4D Rules.  Members, please respect the Rules of the various Restricted Forums.