Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballerina7373

Building Stamina for Challenging Performance

Ballerina7373

This April I will be performing the lead role in Sleeping Beauty, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for building stamina before the show? I know it's not a good idea for dancers to run, but are there any other ways I could improve my endurance before the performance? Thanks!

Momof3darlings

Besides the normal cross training, the best way to build stamina for a performance is full runs of the variations, etc.  This means full runs where you are not holding back to save up for next time.  This is in addition to runs where you may be being coached or corrected.  

Ballet Day

My teacher says that we should always run our variations full out twice, back to back. Even if you can’t do it twice all the way through at first, she says you’ll eventually get there and then you’ll have enough stamina to do it once during a performance.

Ballerina7373

Thank you both! 

t.s..r

I did Act II Sleeping Beauty (pas+variation) for a summer program and I can attest to the ballet's difficulty! As people have already said, running back to back is a good idea. In terms of cross training, I have found that biking (stationary or outside) and swimming laps are both good ways to get some non-impact cardio. In terms of the performance itself, make sure you figure out places in the music of ballet where you can relax and breathe. 

Good luck!!