Ballet Talk for Dancers
miraclegiraffe

Delurking!

miraclegiraffe

Hello!

I've been reading the forums for about 2 years now, so finally delurking!

I'm an adult ballet dancer, in my very early 30's. I started at 26 and the only prior dance training I had was rhythmic gymnastics, which is quite unusual in the states!

I got sick at 14 and by 19 lost my ability to walk. I spent 3 years on forearm crutches and using a wheelchair. Doctors insisted I was faking it or that no disease like it existed. Eventually it was discovered that I have an extremely rare disorder that has to do with a severe potassium deficiency. As soon as they cleared that up, everything else started to return and I am as good as new as long as I stay on top of that.

To go from not walking to being able to fulfill one of my childhood dreams within the last 7 years is incredible. I am due to start pointe soon and am in current pre-pointe classes, doctor approved! I dance with the kids at my studio and mostly take their most advanced classes they offer. I have experienced some resistance in the dance world due to being an adult and having a disability, but I absolutely adore the studio I am at now as they  embrace my ability.

-MiracleGiraffe

Redbookish

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Miraclegiraffe, and to the adult ballet student world. Isn't it great to learn such a beautiful and demanding art - so glad you found your way to it. and what a story!

BalletFamily

Welcome.  I always love seeing other dancers with disabilities.   And I wish I could say it was rare to have doctors who think someone is faking...  Congrats on starting pointe and on dancing dancing dancing. :-) 

miraclegiraffe

Thanks everyone!  I'm actually not quite on pointe yet. I'm still in pre-pointe. I just need a few more weeks of consistency with everything, but I'm close! And yep, not rare at all not to be believed. I still experience it even with a proper genetic diagnosis.

breathofarda

Welcome, and I'm glad to hear you've gotten help and are on the uphill. I know how frustrating it is to be ill and feel like no one can help! :)