Ballet Talk for Dancers
bri

the age for ballet

bri

hi. first off, id like to say that i know theres not an age for ballet... on paper atleast.

im going to be 15 in a few months, making me 14 now. to give some backstory: from ages 3-6 i did ballet and jazz dancing with a little bit of tap dancing here and there. from ages 8-12 i did gymnastics and cheerleading - the cheerleading was competitive and we were really pushed. from 10-12 i did jazz, hip hop, and gymnastic dancing (this could be classified as hip hop, but it was a seperate class and had a lot more movement). lately ive been doing track... for a month.

i would like to get back into ballet, however i know that getting (back) into ballet at this age is kind of up to argument. one of the reasons why its said not to start ballet at this age is because your joints arent loose and you arent as flexible as somone younger. i know this is true, but i think im pretty flexible for someone who hasnt done anything that needs a lot of flexibility for 2-3 years. i dont think id become a pro, although that does sound amazing. i was wondering if im "too old" to really start ballet. itd be a hobby, but one that im committed to. id do it 4-5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a night. i know thats not much but its the longest class time available in my area and i still have school. id like to go on pointe as well when the time comes. there are supposedly success stories about people who start late but i havent seen any... can i get some names please? thank you.

would i get anywhere? is it even worth trying?

Edited by bri
wording

Victoria Leigh

Hello Bri, and welcome to our forums. 😊

First of all, you will never know what you can do until you try!  You have had a lot of dance and movement experience, and there are certainly some dancers who started late.  Check out Misty Copeland, for one. 😊 There are no absolutes in ballet, and it will all depend on your physique and natural facility for ballet, and of course the quality and quantity of your training. 

Now I must ask you to please review our Rules and Policies for posting on Ballet Talk for Dancers.  We especially ask that you type with correct punctuation and use of upper case letters!

pixie

Ms. Leigh, I am 13 and I am looking for a good site to teach me ballet but the question is. is it good that i am double jointed in my feet? 

Clara 76

Welcome pixie!

What you need is a good ballet school to teach you ballet!!!! I have no idea what you mean by "double-jointed" in your feet, so it would be best if you could do a little reading on this website to help you find a school in your area where you could get excellent training!!!! They can assess your feet for you.

Victoria Leigh

Pixie, please heed Clara 76’s advice!  You cannot learn ballet on a website. It requires proper classes in a good school!  

And, there is no such thing as “double jointed” feet!  You probably just have feet that are very flexible, which is a good thing for ballet, but also can be harder to achieve strength. Again, this takes highly qualified teaching!