Ballet Talk for Dancers
alaseconde

DD Quitting Ballet After Dream Opportunity?

logollady

So glad I was helpful. I have learned so much in this journey, if I can help even one person navigate, I feel like it all may be worth it! lolol. One other quick thought, I have found that the less I process my concerns/thoughts with my daughter the better. I know for me it is helpful to talk through things with someone else to ascertain how helpful/valuable/applicable the situation may be - but for my daughter (who seems very similar to yours, minus the innate natural talent) she simply gets overwhelmed by my processing. So, for instance, when you mentioned Mr. McKenzie scouting her class, perhaps making sure you don't make a big deal about that directly to DD, it will help alleviate some of the pressures she may be feeling. Maybe you already do this, but it was just something I learned over the years, perhaps it would be helpful to you as well. :) 

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

ballet1310

Just another thought here ... most of us that have been around this for quite awhile know that a dancer at 13 is not necessarily the same dancer at 18 ... yes, take the opportunities represented, yes, it’s exciting and fantastic to get that attention ! But... a slower approach is always best and honestly , 5 weeks does not a year make :) - hope she enjoys the summer and take it from there !!! If she’s not interested, noting lost.     If she loves it, get her into a pre- pro- as someone else mentioned, the older girls as much more supportive ( stilL competitive but more supportive because they respect the years of hard work they know their contemporaries have been through) good luck !!

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

ballet1310

Sounds like a real pre- pro is what is need - most teachers do not push a student where they aren’t physically ready to go as it takes time / years to build muscle and technique - great teachers understand it’s a process 

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

firedragon0800

Change the school is a great suggestion, or try to find a mentor ballet instructor that had a similar trajectory. Participating in an SI with a lot of guest instructors might help her find that Sherpa to get her to her comfort zone. 

Stepping back might be the obvious answer, but if she is as talented as she seems perhaps you need to up her game to keep her interested.

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

Blanche
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, alaseconde said:

Come to think ... this could be her fear of the “real” SI. Young Dancer Workshop is age 9-12 and low key. The 5-week age 13+ is officially the big leagues (plus kids from all over world). No one is there to “have fun” (I swear if one more person in my life advises that ...). These kids are fierce and angling for a future contract. They’re like crowdfunding for tuition and board all year. It’s pretty serious. Definitely not Camp Chippewa. 

There is definitely a difference between the YDW and the regular SI, but it's not vicious! The kids are indeed talented, but at 13, they are not yet angling for a contract--maybe a spot in the year round training program, and even at 16-18, students are at best hoping for a second/studio company spot. And the kids actually DO have fun! They are serious in class, but they also take advantage of the opportunity to meet kids from all over who share their passion, and they enjoy being able to be in NYC. There is more to an SI than just the ballet part.

firedragon0800

Anonymity likely works best, 1. better to write about you and your dk and get good advice about tricky situations, 2. schools are funny about how they are portrayed in the postings, even if it might be flattering them to you.

Ballet is like cooking a frog, if you put the frog in hot water it'll immediately jump out, better to put the fog in cool water and turn the heat up gradually. One day you'll realize you are cooked.

This is a great resource for educating yourself and its a very supportive environment for new frogs in cold water:)

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

AB'sMom

I have no idea what studio your daughter attends, but I will second (or third, or fourth), the idea that a new studio may be in order. Our DDs are the same age, participated in the same Nutcracker, were accepted to the same SIs, and I can tell you that no one at my daughter’s studio treats her badly based on her successes and she doesn’t have any teachers pushing her beyond what is appropriate for her age. Perhaps if your daughter found classes in an environment that makes her happy she wouldn’t want to quit.