Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceDaddy

Pre Pointe Shoes?

DanceDaddy

Can someone explain to a Dad what these Pre Pointe Shoes are? What is the benefit? When is age appropriate? etc...

Our current studio seems to be pushing them at 10. However, several of us parents are skeptical.

Thanks!

Victoria Leigh

DanceDaddy, have you checked or searched for this topic? I believe we have had several discussions over the years about pre-pointe shoes. :)

DanceDaddy

Guilty! This was a good post.

And this was a great post. That Victoria Leigh had some good comments!

Unfortunately, it has become the norm at our studio to see girls in Pre-Pointe at 10. I think a lot of us parents will be bucking that trend in the fall.

I still don't get what are pre-pointe shoes? How are they different from Pointe shoes?

Fraildove

Pre-pointe shoes are simply a pointe shoe with no shank, which is the part that helps a dancer stay safely en pointe. There are pros and cons to them, many, many European, Japanese, and Australian dancers train in them since it is much more difficult to point the feet, balance, and releve (to demi-pointe) in a pre-pointe and pointe shoe. It allows a dancer to start working the feet as if she had a traditional pointe shoe on without being allowed to actually go en pointe. You would be very surprised how much different it feels even turning out and balancing on flat in a pointe shoe than a soft shoe. So I think the idea is to gradually allow the student to feel comfortable in the shoe in all other aspects before actually starting pointe so that it isn’t such a ‘shock’ dealing with everything at once. We don’t use them in our school, but many very reputable schools do. It isn’t a gimmick in such a sense as those that do use them do so for the benefits described above. Most schools that teach RAD use them since I believe dancers must use them in exams later on (correct me if I’m wrong on that one.)

DanceDaddy

thanks Fraildove!