Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dreamingofdance

Choreography!

Dreamingofdance

Hey all! This summer I'm going to PBT, and I wanted to enter a student choreography piece. I've done lots of choreography (for my company, school, and solos) but it's always been jazz, tap, hip hop, or a little bit of contemporary. This piece is supposed to be ballet, and I have a lot of ideas for movement, but no music or basic storyline inspiration. I want to do a classical piece but not one that's commonly heard/used, if that makes sense. If anyone could let me know what a good place to find music is, music ideas, or anything, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited by Dreamingofdance
Adding more detail

Ballerina_Author

Hey Dreamingofdance!

I was once given a classical choreography project in a class too.  The music was selected for us though, but it was from an opera without lyrics.  Some operas are fast and others slow, but most are very moving and beautiful to dance too.  Sometimes you can look into the plot of the opera and use the emotions behind it for your piece.  Sorry, but that's all I have to offer. :blush::nixweiss:  Good luck with your piece!

Edited by Ballerina_Author

Clara 76

It is best for you to choose music without any singing. Try going to the iTunes store, amazon music, or spotify and search for classical music. If you choose contemporary classical you might find an unknown composer. If you choose a female composer, it's almost a guarantee. :dry: 

Dreamingofdance

Thank you!