Ballet Talk for Dancers
CreativeDancer

What do they call Russian ronde de jambes in Russia?

CreativeDancer

Quick question: what is the real name for Russian ronde de jambes?    Thanks. :rolleyes:

Victoria Leigh

Sorry, CreativeDancer, but I have never heard of “Russian” rond de jambe. Can you describe it, please?  

vrsfanatic

I too do not know what that is!!

Solnishka79

Rond de jambe par terre? No different term as far as I’m aware...

Redbookish

A quick Googe gives me that sometimes a double rond de jambe is called a 'Russian rond de jambe'. But I've never heard the term 'Russian rond de jambe' in either Cecchetti or RAD terminology.

vrsfanatic

Thank you Redbook. I wonder how it is done??

No such term in Vaganova.

Redbookish

Is it OK to post a link to a YouTube video? Here's the mention of Russian rond de jambe that Google picked up for me -  looks like an ordinary double rond de jambe en l'air to me - although done beautifully, and at a height of extension that I've only ever achieved a handful of times! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUwUWcKAttA

Another beautiful film of a Vaganova examination, in a studio that I'm sure will be familiar to you, VRS! To me, a lowly perpetual adult beginner learner, it is a venerable extraordinary place, and these dancers are super-heroes!

AncientDancer

The Russian teachers I study with do a half ronde de jambe par terre with a full one. Sometimes the half is at double time speed - essentially two in one count. Is that what you might mean? 

Redbookish

I'm familiar with that referred to simply as a double rond de jambe a terre. i've been taught it as two full ronds de jambe a terre in the same count as one usually after 2 or 3 slower ronds.

Doubleturn

Or could the term Russian rond de jambe be referring to rond de jambe jeté?

Redbookish

Google also suggested it’s a term used instead of gargoulliard. 

Miss Persistent

I’ve never heard of a Russian RDJ either! Waiting with baited breath for a description :)

CreativeDancer

Wow. Thank you for so many replies. I think my email settings forgot to tell me.

I am thinking of 1. dégagé devant --> small attitude --> 2. bring to 90 + degrees a la seconde --> 3. bring to tendu derrière position. Or start derrière and finish devant.

Thank you.

Doubleturn

Vaganova Academy exam

Jeté it is then!  At approx. 4.40.

vrsfanatic

CreativeDancer in Vaganova schooling the movement you have described is called grand ronde jeté en de hors. It is also done en dedans. 

Edited by vrsfanatic
Misread the description. Had to correct my mistake