Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lillyanna

Tips for turns?

Lillyanna

Hi!

I really need help! I just started ballet last year after never having done it before and for my performance next month we have to do two sets of double turns. I'm scared of turning and I'm getting more scared because there are five of us girls and we are on a TINY stage so if I mess up my turn then I'll crash into the other girls causing them to mess up. Does anyone have advice? Thank you so much!

Clara 76

Wait- you've been dancing for less than 2 years, and you're being asked to do perform pirouettes on stage? Please tell me you're not doing this en pointe....

Lillyanna

These are not actually pirouettes... I don't really know how to describe them but they are on done on both feet. This is for a character dance if that changes anything.

I am not en pointe. My ballet teacher would never allow that so soon. 

rc5678

Is it a travel step? Could it be chaines? 

Lillyanna

I think it is a travel step. It probably is chaines turns. Our hands are on our waists, which I think, makes it easier? I'd post a video of the dance but I don't believe that is allowed.

rc5678

Oh! For chaines, I always make sure that I'm tightening my core and my glutes, keeping my legs straight, and spotting the direction I'm going so I travel in a straight line and don't mess up the formation. I hope that's helpful!

Lillyanna

Thank you!

That does help. How do you make sure that you don't travel too far? My teacher remarked that I tend to travel too much.

rc5678

No problem! Make sure you're keeping your legs tight and right underneath you. I did them slowly when I was first learning- stepping, rather than turning, through the motion, -and it helped me realise that I have to keep my feet no more than shoulder/hip width apart from each other. Good luck!

Lillyanna

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you!! I guess I've just got to practice a lot!!

Ballet Prodigy

Just focus on holding your first position while you are turning 

Lillyanna

Really? How does that work as opposed to holding fifth position? My ballet teacher said to close our feet to fifth because it will make it easier to turn all the way...

Ballet Prodigy

It depends on the turn. For chaine turns we always do them in first position. But you need to listen to what your teacher says. She knows your dancing better than I do.

Lillyanna

Ok. That makes sense. I'm kind of disappointed because last week I did the turns correctly and this week they were so bad that my teacher took off one of the turns.

Ballet Prodigy

Aww, it's okay. We all have our rough days as dancers. Just keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get it.

Lillyanna

Thanks! Sometimes practicing doesn't seem to get you anywhere until it actually does...