Ballet Talk for Dancers
balanchine_ballerina

Question about clothing over dancewear

balanchine_ballerina

Hello, I'm not sure if this is a weird question or not but I've been curious what other students do.

For everyone who attends a residential program/day program (or for example, attending ballet class, then academic class, then more ballet, etc.) do you tend to wear "normal" clothes like jeans or more complicated outfits, or do you wear more leggings, warmup jackets, etc? (essentially warmups) I'm attending a pre-professional school as a day student (no need to board because I'm local) but I've been thinking about next year and what to wear. Our academic classes are only a short train ride from the studios and since I'd be around mostly dancers all day, and I figured why dress myself up all nice to be wearing that outfit for around two hours max? From what I've seen online, most of the girls wear their hair in buns all day but I'm not sure of the outfit situation.

Sorry for the rambling :unsure:

vrsfanatic

The students at HARID wear regular clothes to school and then sweat pants or shorts over their dance clothes to get to daily classes.

Ballet Prodigy

Wear whatever makes you comfortable and happy. You're the ballerina so just wear whatever makes your heart dance 

Lillyanna

I normally wear exercise pants and a shirt. But really I just wear whatever I feel comfortable in. And if I don't like one outfit I can change it. 

Ballerina_Author

I usually wear workout leggings and a shirt or tank top with a jacket wrapped around my waist in case I need another layer.  Sometimes, I'll wear garbage bag pants or warm-up pants with a skirt (sweater tights, sweater pants, overalls).  In winter, I usually wear a cute, but warm sweater instead of a shirt (still always bringing my jacket).

kittyenpointe

Hello,

Maybe wear a sweater/jacket and sweatpants over the dance clothes?

That way no one will stare at you if you’re not in dance class and wearing a leotard, for example. And you won’t have to change before class, just take off what you were wearing and put them in a bag.

I don’t attend a program but I figured this would be helpful :wacko::P

Kitty