Ballet Talk for Dancers
meilingsmama

Fork in the road

JKK

:):):)

threegirlpileup
23 hours ago, meilingsmama said:

. I’m tending to think about an online program with guidance and planning for at least the first year. We are interested in in person classes but it may not work as she only has two consecutive weekdays free.  

Just FYI my dd's in-person academic homeschool classes have always met once a week in person, with considerable work outside of class.  I don't know if it's true everywhere, but that is the norm around here.  

meilingsmama

Thank you. JKK. I am hoping some of the plus sides of online/homeschooling could be some that you mentioned. Sleep is always in short supply. Getting up at 6:30 has been rough, especially after evening ballet, then homework. Its also been a pressure filled year which has caused much stress and anxiety. DD also tells me all the time that she hates how much time is wasted at school. She feels she could work more efficiently.  It is a bit challenging with ballet socialization as the kids commute in from all over a very large metro area.  As the kids get older in the day program, which she hopes to move to, they live in the dorms or in the apartments next to the ballet. We live 20 minutes from there, which is closer than most commuters.

Noodles

I will agree with what JKK said about all of the upside to home/online school can provide. We too have enjoyed witnessing a massive decompression in our dancer, we love love love having her home! Removing the peer pressures of high school has been wonderful. We are also very close, closer than we were with our older children (non dancers) at the same age.  It has been a total win/win. It is still a lot of hard work and there is still stress, just not nearly as intense. I am sure you find the right situation for your dancer once you start exploring options.

Elf Font

Researching homeschooling options may seem overwhelming, since there are so many to choose from. Some people opt for a packaged all-in-one curriculum because it seems easier. I would recommend that your daughter play an active role and let you know what her goals are for her schooling. If she is more interested in math or language arts, for example, you may be better off with specific online courses rather than one that's part of a complete packaged high school curriculum. Also, if she ends up going back to a bricks-and-mortar school, and also for college, you will want to make sure you keep good records of all her online courses. 

mmballet

We made the switch this year to online school. We chose a program that was self-paced in order to have the up-most flexibility. It worked out well for my dd, but like others have stated, there is a very large learning curve. There were a lot of ups and downs throughout the year. We were at a new studio, new state, new to daytime ballet programs, new the Nut and other show rehearsal schedules......oh.....and I work full time! She seemed to be pacing herself well at the beginning, but as soon as Nut came around she really struggled with the balance. At that point I became much more involved in helping her plan her lessons each week. The school offers a pacing guide, but it is based on finishing the course in a year, and my dd planned to finish during a normal 9 month schedule.

Even with the ups and downs, it was the best decision we have ever made. She would be completely sleep deprived if we had kept her in public school. I was extremely happy with the curriculum offered through her "online private" school as well. Much more rigorous than public education in my opinion. DD has decided to start 7th grade next month and attempt to finish 7th and 8th in one year to get a year ahead before the rigor of high school arrives. 

The social aspect is not an issue for us. She is surrounded by friends at dance. Even when she was in public school, all of her close friends were her dance friends.

Good luck with your journey!

Graceful711

I am loving all this information.  My DD is switching from brick and mortar to on line next year (she will be going into her high school sophomore year). After an hour long conversation with the on line school, countless discussions with DD and husband and reading all this generously provided information , I really do believe we are making the right decision for her.   Thank you everyone! 

ballet1310

Graceful711- sophomore year is when we switched our dd to online also -there were some challenges along the way with time management but if you read others. comments you will see that is common-  she is graduating this year - if you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out! I sometimes felt like I was alone in the process of it all especially since all of my friends kids were in regular schools.

Graceful711

Thank you so much ballet1310!

ballet1310

😀 no problem - we also we also went through the whole college process ( although she has deferred)  

meilingsmama

Also, if anyone wants to share online schools that have worked well, that is appreciated.

Texasblue

In Texas you can look into iUniversity Prep. It is an online school for Texas students who were enrolled the previous year in a Texas school (even for 1 day). It is free, has 1 "live class" per class per week, is largely self paced, where you have to show progress regularly in all subjects and start and finish by a set date. Several students at our studio are enrolled and my dd will start in the fall. They were recently named as a top school in the nation in one of those well known rankings. 

rc5678

If you're in California (and a few other states, I believe) k12 has free online public schooling, which many of my friends have used and we looked into for a while. They also host a prom and a graduation and several clubs, which I had liked- it adds a sense of community. 

The other school we had looked into was Stanford Online High School, which is a rigourous program with college-schedule-type classes. I do believe it's slightly less flexible, and I know it has tuition, but if anyone has any first-hand experience with it that'd be great. 

Edited by rc5678

Noodles

Also many school districts across the state offer some type of online/hybrid learning programs, so don't forget to look within your own school district.

Graceful711

I would love to hear about the different on line schools people have chosen and why.  I think I found one I like for DD but unsure and its pretty expensive.  Thank you in advance.