Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dancergirlmelody

Dance Academy: The Comeback

Dancergirlmelody

The Australian TV Show "Dance Academy"  which finished filming a few years ago recently released a feature film reboot and I can't believe no one is talking about it! I just watched it (rented through Amazon prime) and it is a really phenomenal movie, I even shed a few tears. It picks up where the show left off, almost two years after the lead, Tara, broke her back. The film is about how far to follow your dreams and will definitely speak to anyway who has chased or lost or achieved a dream. Highly recommend to all--young dancers and old, and anyone who appreciates a good dance movie!

slhogan

I'm a big fan of Dance Academy, although I had a hard time watching the final season after the loss of my favorite character. 

I'll check out the movie. Thanks for the heads-up! 

Side note-- At one point when my son was home on break, I tried to get him to watch the show with me. After watching an episode, he was like "Why would I want to watch this? This is basically my daily life. What you're calling entertainment, I call 'Tuesday' ".  And that's the review from a 16 year old male in a ballet academy. 

gabby's mom

I did enjoy watching the show, despite the soap opera feel it sometimes had.

The last season was such a disappointment, though.

My daughter (14) just recently started watching.  She wasn't interested when it first came to Netflix.  She likes to criticize Tara's decisions, lol!

JKK

Dancinggirlmelody, thank you for the heads up! Dance Academy has long been a family favorite/guilty pleasure; even DH loves it!  We were so bummed when the series ended and have been on the lookout for when the film would be available in the US (I think it was released elsewhere awhile back).  We are renting from Amazon tonight!!!!

5uptown

My 13yo dancing son likes the show (as do his younger sisters, though I don't think its really appropriate for them!) though he feels the level of the ballet is low, and that is distracting for him, haha. 

DanceMumNYC

My dd discovered the re-runs last summer. I'll see if I can find the movie tonight. Thanks for sharing this!

vagansmom

5uptown, your son is right that the ballet dancing among supposedly the very best ballet students in Australia is low. And what pre-professional ballet school has so much hiphop???? Not enough classical ballet, but I forgive them. I think it's a very nicely done series for young dancers of all genres. Like all other shows and movies about a  topic, this one glosses over complexities. Still, the characters are engaging and the series is mostly family friendly.

Just watched the movie last night. Not sure yet how I feel about it. I thought there was a glaring negative that ruined everything else I liked about the movie. I don't want to give it away, so I will just say that the medical crisis of a particular character was dealt with too lightly, giving the wrong idea to a young audience. The good thing is that it's a rare medical condition, but I caught my breath and shook my head at a certain scene.