Ballet Talk for Dancers
beyondthebarre

Ballet: Origami

beyondthebarre

Hey friends, I'm looking for info on a ballet called "Origami." I was told about it a long time ago, briefly, but know very little about it, and every time I search it, I just end up with origami tutorials... 

I know the ballet is about a girl in school who doesn't pay attention during their origami lesson, so the teacher makes her stay in from Recess and practice. while practicing, the animals come to life while she learns to fold them. 

I also know it uses Camile Saint Saens's Carnival of the Animals. 

If anyone has any info, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!~

lakemom

Found with a google search:

The music for Origami is by Camille Saint-Saëns, and is titled “Carnival of the Animals”. The original recording by Saint-Saëns is titled “The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra”. The choreographer, Kevin Milam, developed Origami to entertain young audiences using both classical and modern ballet, while at the same time using the music to represent the various animals. The difference between classical and modern ballet will be discussed during “The Visible Difference”. 

Blanche

"The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" is by Benjamin Britten and is much more recent than "Carnival of the Animals," but both are on a compilation CD together, which may have caused confusion?