Ballet Talk for Dancers

heels

Marjolein

The back of my feels has been hurting a bit recently, especially when i go on pointe. It's mostly my right foot (which is also my weaker foot). I have never had that before. What is it and how can i make it go away?

• Administrators

Marjolein, I'm afraid we cannot diagnose injuries here. If you can be a bit more specific about where the pain is, like the heel itself, or the achilles tendon, we might be able to guide you a bit. It's possibly a bit of tendonitis of the achilles tendon, or, it could be bursitis. From your description it's impossible to know. However, whenever there is pain, then something is wrong and the thing to do in this situation is to see an orthopedic physician, preferably one who has experience in working with dancers.

• Administrators

The achilles tendon is the large cord that runs from the back of the heel itself, up into the calf muscle. It's a strong tendon, but it can get upset and inflammed. Whenever you are not sure, it's always best to see a doctor to find out. If it is tendonitis, then it will require rest, ice, and elevation, and possibly some anti-inflammatory medication.

i already put some anti-infammatory stuff on it and that seems to help. I'll put some ice on it.

Thanks

• Administrators

By anti-inflammatory meds I meant something like Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium, which is Advil or Aleve. The doctors usually prescribe something like this, although sometimes the prescription meds are slightly different and in higher dosages.