Ballet Talk for Dancers

spotting HELP!!!!

Marjolein

My spotting needs some serious help. Does anybody have any good tips or exercises on how to improve my spotting??? I really need them!

• Administrators

Practice, Marjolein, practice! If you have been taught HOW to spot, then it's a matter of repetition in terms of training your body how to do it. There are several topics, still active, about this, both on the YD board and on the Adult Ballet Students board. Open your browser to show all the previous topics and you will see it!

The problem is that I have never really been taught how to spot. I might have when I was little and did ballet, but I quit fot a really long time, so i don't remember. It's like that with most stuff we do in class. I'm kinda scared to ask my teacher about it.

• Administrators

Marjolein, that's what teachers are there for. If you do not know how to spot, then ask your teacher to teach you. It is far easier for her to show you than for us to describe or you to try to learn from this kind of format!

I have found that if you look at a post, rather then leaving it there for as far round as possible to whip it around, but to find a spot and then just whip my head around. My Dancing teacher taught me this technique and I think it works. Also try not spotting too high as you could start to wobble.

Hope it help, but as Ms Leigh said, it would be best to get your teacher's help.

Daniel

In theaters, many companies use a "spotting light" which is a distinct red or green light set on the center front of the first balcony, if such a location closer to the stage than an "exit" light is available at or just above eye level. It works fine, and most of the audience can't see it!:)

WOW! very interesting, so thats how they get all their head to work so beautifuly, with the exception of their great ability.

Rember to use your body too, to turn, it will help you whip around. Not to mentio the strong supporting foot, which i bet your teacher nags you about :)

Dan