Ballet Talk for Dancers

audition today

Guest alliecat93

Guest alliecat93

I was planning on auditioning for about 4 different places, but due to uncontrollable circumstances, I wasn't able to do any of the auditions. Well, there is one today that I am going to do. I have two questions. I assume you shouldn't wear a ballet skirt, right? Also, I have this thin hair ribbon with some very small flowers (fake) on it. It is very small and I wear it for my classses sometimes, but I was wondering if that would be okay to wear to an audition. It's pale purple if that makes a difference. Now I ask these questions because I know everyone will be wearing a black leotard, pink tights, and hair in a bun, and I was just wondering if there was any way I could stand out a little. I know I should stand out for my dancing, but I was just wondering.

IF there's nothing in the dress requirements of the audition you're going to, then you can wear any color or style leotard that you like, and the skirt is OK, too. Just make sure it's tied at the waist and not worn "droopy-drawers" style at the hips! A LOT of teachers really, really hate that. The color of the leotard should complement your coloring, hair, eyes, and skin tone. Any tiny, tiny, hair accessories should be in good taste, and harmonize with the main color of the rest of your ensemble. Did you know that the direct harmony of purple is yellow?

Now, if everyone will be wearing black leotard, etc. because it says in the pre-audition material that that's the uniform for the audition, if you don't wear that, then you just might stand out - as the first reject, for being unable or unwilling to follow instructions.:D

Guest alliecat93

Thank you so much, Major Mel! I read your response earlier today, but for some reason my computer wouldn't let me reply. I ended up wearing my hair thing, and a black leotard, but not my skirt. I thought a black leotard was required, but actually it wasn't. Every single person wore black though, so I'm kind of glad I did too. At the end of the audition they told us if we were accepted or not, and guess what? I got in! Thanks again for your help. :)

Beauty! I couldn't be happier for you. Congratulations!:)