Ballet Talk for Dancers

grands plies

i was reading a topic about plies on the adults board.

my question is for ms. leigh, in that topic you stated that you don't like grands plies in fourth, and i thought i remembered that you once wrote that you don't use them for your students. why is that? is the grand plie in fourth so bad for dancers?

my other question, after reading the post on the adult board, is why you don't like to start with grands plies? i follow RAD syllabus for whole my life now and every syllabus (except for the low ones) start with demi and grands plies. and now with advanced 1, i only do grands plies (2 in second, 2 in first, 2 in fourth and 2 in fifth). would you consider this as not such a good exercise??

~SKIP~

• Administrators

Skip, I know that grand pliés in all of the positions are very traditional, and have been done for many, many years. I happen to think that they are not only not essential, but potentially harmful to some dancers, and, that they are certainly not necessary, or even very helpful, at the very beginning of the barre. I do like grands in second position at the beginning, but not the other positions.

As for 4th position, I think they are stupid and unnecessary, as they really serve no purpose and are potentially very dangerous because of extreme rotation and what they do to the knees. Very few dancers can do them correctly and without some rolling. And what do they do for you? Why are they there? I just see no logical reason for them whatsoever.

I watch even well trained, good dancers coming up from grand plié with their knees rolling in. While they are not harmful to those who can do them and maintain the rotation needed to not roll inward, they should not be done by lower level students who do not have this control of their rotation.

I do use them in my classes, with the exception of 4th position, however I use less of them and I put them later in the barre. I use grands in second at the beginning of the barre, in an exercise facing the barre which uses several things, including demi pliés in first, tendu and flex, leg circles en dehors and en dedans with the foot flexed, turning in and turning out, and a lot of cambrés, both side and forward and back, in parallel positions. I then proceed to tendu exercises, maybe a plié exercise or maybe not because sometimes I include a grand plié in first in one of the tendu or dégagé exercises, and a grand in fifth in another combination like rond de jambe or adagio. So, we do them, but just not all at once and not at the beginning of the barre. :)

thank you for your answer.

do you think, with the way you look at grands plies, that settings like the RAD syllabi are not so good putting them right at the start of the barre?? especially now where my first exercise consists only of grands plies in every position (with cambrés sideways, forward, backward and around)?

i usually warm myself up properly before class and especially for exams, but do you think the RAD better could have added a warm up exercise to start the barre with???

~SKIP~

• Administrators

Skip, I would not presume to tell the RAD or any other method how to arrange their classes. I do not teach that method, and therefore can arrange my classes as I see fit. I happen to feel that the grand pliés are not the way to start the class, however, that is just my opinion. ;)

i'm sorry. i just was curious about your opinion and not that you have to tell the RAD or any other syllabus that it's not good. sorry if it came over like that, i didn't mean to.

~SKIP~