Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pas de Deux

Guest ScottieGDE13

Guest ScottieGDE13

One of the guys at my dance studio asked me today if I'd like to do a pas with him for studio demonstrations and other minor "performances" throughout the year. Of course I said yes (I've been wanting to do partnerwork for such a long time!) However, he asked me to offer some suggestions as to which one we should do... Any suggestions? Anything classical but not too difficult. We can do pretty much any promenade, supported pirouettes, and some of the easier lifts (probably not anything over the head but, then again, we've never tried.) I understand that Pas de deuxs aren't exactly like variations in that they don't always have the same layout but if I could have suggestiions to just start somewhere and look at something for an idea it would help.

Thanks

Scottie

If you're looking for a classic, there's always "Les Sylphides". That way, you don't have to worry about the formal structure of the grand pas de deux: entrée, adagio, male variation, female variation, coda. The style isn't easy, but at least there's nothing really dangerous in it.

Guest dncrgrrl

For my first pas we learned Swan Lake, it's actually not very difficult, we took out the overhead lifts and made them arabesque thingys (sorr bad description) I think that was all we changed. We only did the partnering, no variations etc. It turned out really well :(

The problem with White Swan, and Black Swan, for that matter, is finding a performance-modified version of the music. I've been looking all over, trying to find the versions with the Drigo endings to the adagios. Conductors these days have a tendency to use the 1877 version, rather than the 1895. In the earlier version, the White Swan breaks into an allegro vivo sort of mini-coda, and the Black Swan has a sort of bridge to the male variation, neither of which is useful for the standard 1895 choreography.

Guest Allegro

Try Pas de Trois from first act swan lake. I know it's a dance for three, but you could probably modify it. It isn't very virtuostic (is that even a word?) and is is pretty with an entrata, male/female variations and a coda. pretty music, too!

It isn't very virtuosic until you have to dance it! ;)

• Administrators

I really don't think I would like to see a Pas de Trois changed to a Pas de Deux, especially one that is as well known and recognized as Swan Lake Pas de Trois!