Ballet Talk for Dancers

Convincing my mother...

Guest BattementCloche

Guest BattementCloche

I REALLY want to go to the National Ballet School of Canada, but my Mom says I'm too young. I turned 13 in November, and I've been wanting to go ever since I was 9. I am completly obsessed with ballet, and I take classes 3 days a week and assist in 2 classes on Saturdays. I want to join the National Ballet of Canada someday. There are two problems: first, Mom thinks I'm too young, and second, we can't afford it. I don't want to do ANYTHING else, EVER. But, try convincing my mother..........

It's not easy.:)

Battementcloche, I think that if you're able to get good instruction locally, it would be best for you to hang in for the summer somewhere closer to home than TO. Ottawa would be OK, for example. Also, NBC has a kind of bluntness about the way they handle students that I don't care for. They seem to have taken a leaf from RAD and changed "pass with distinction" to create a new category, "reject with revulsion" that makes students feel awful and parents furious. You need to be in the best possible state to audition for NBC, and even then, things can be dicey. Kemptville was always such a neat little town, with a nice music store. I always thought it made everyplace else look like "Unkemptville".;)

Guest BattementCloche

How long ago were you in Kemptville?????????

Anyway, thank-you for the advice. I can get EXTREMELY good instruction in my area - fifteen minutes away, walking - where I go. It's just that there are only ballet classes on Monday - pre-ponte, pointe, and strength and flexibility, Tuesday - my class, Ballet 5, and Thursday - Ballet 4, which I take as a second class. I would LIKE to take class every day, but unless I take private classes (which I would VERY much like to do - but then, money....) or jazz or hip-hop or something else, it's not possible.

P.S. My teacher is a DREAM!!!!!!!!

About ten years ago, one of my Kanadian Kids from Prescott was looking for THE perfect reverb unit for his band. I found exactly the make and model he was looking for in Kemptville. I'm delighted to hear that the town has a nice ballet studio to go along with everything else nice there. You might want to look into things in Ottawa for the summer, though, if your "home school" isn't going to offer enough classes. Now would be a good time to start examining your potential, and expanding your horizons, but gradually!:)

Guest BattementCloche

Ah - ten years ago. That explains a lot. Kemptville is a dumpy town now- the old 'downtown' is nice (that's where my ballet studio is) but it is rather mashed up and thrown together. It has two dance studios, two highschools, two public schools, one catholic school, three dollar stores, two decorating stores, two grocery stores, four book stores, a Tim Hortons, a MacDonald's (not much to boast of), three pizza shops, a sports store.....

To get back to the subject, thank-you again for the advice. I only have to convince my Mom to let me go to Ottawa now.... Would you like to try? (ha ha ha)

Goodness, Kemptville now sounds like Prescott twenty-five years ago! I love that part of Ontario, though. How about starting on your mom that with Ottawa, at least you can be home at night? And what's the worst that could happen to you in Ottawa? Get bitten by a politician?;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BattementCloche

My gosh! I'm so excited! Mom said today that she and my dad discussed it, and she says that if I can talk the grandparents into paying for the summer camp at Quinte, I can go next summer, and if they accept me, then I can go the school year after that! Quinte isn't where I wanted to go, but it's better than nothing, and it would be a good experience. She said that NBSoC is too far away, and I wouldn't be able to come home even on weekends, but Belleville is much closer.

I asked her why she didn’t want me going to Ottawa, and she said, rather evasively, that she’d heard things about the Ottawa schools she looked into that she didn’t like. :confused: Anyway, I know that my grandparents will pay for it (they're all rich;)) so the only thing to worry about now is being accepted, but my teacher says that I have a very good chance:D!!!!

Guest BattementCloche

Never mind, it's off (thanks for the replies, though!!!). I had a very long talk with my teacher about it, and she says that another of her students (she used to be my friend, actually) went to Quinte, but after a year she came back, and was a good dancer, but she made a lot of mistakes, and hid them which is worse.:D She was finally kicked out!

My teacher says that it would be better to stay here (Like you said, Major Mel!) and take private classes with her, which is what I've been wanting to do anyway! Her son starts school next year, and I homeschool, so more than likely we can work something out during the day. I'm excited!!!:D :D :):D

Guest Firebird3000

In Canada you can apply for government grants for schools if money is a reason. Also talk to your parents that you would like to attend a master class and audition when they come to your town just to see if their style is for you!