Ballet Talk for Dancers

money

Guest Medora

Guest Medora

Okay, I've gotten in. Yay! :) But I most likely am still going to have to raise the money myself. I can try going at it with my mom again, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea right now, since I kind of had to promise to be quiet about it once the audition was over. Hey, it was the only way I could do to get to the audition, it was the only thing that worked, so I had to do it to get to the audition at all! So even with that horrible agreement, I'm still more ahead now that I would have been had I not made the agreement. I am going to start now. Where should I start? Should I start by talking with my school guidance counselor, the Rotarty Interact Club advisor, should I just walk in to various stores or companies and ask them for sponsorship? Should I send out letters to any and every company, like I don't know, Virginia Power or something, big corporations? I really am blind here, but I'm determined enough that I will take on this seemingly impossible task if I have to. Maybe some of you other dancers here have raised money and could help me with your experiences. Should I ask the parents here what they might have done in the past? Any help to the blind would be greatly appreciated! :)

Networking to Interact is by far the best option for you. The contacts you make through contacting service clubs will do a lot of the "walking" for you and bring you into direct contact with the business leaders of the community. That's who belongs to service clubs! Rotary seems to have the best program for supporting arts-related studies, whether from the individual club or from the district, which is made up of many clubs from your general geographic area. My own club sent a kid to Eastman School of Music for the summer, a graduate student to the London College of Furniture to learn how to be a conservator, and numerous other applicants for Rotary support. If Rotary doesn't come up with enough, you can always look to other service clubs to help make up the difference. (Lions, Kiwanis, Optimists, etc.) You will probably get a lunch out of the Rotary contact, and may be asked to "show your stuff", so put together a fifteen-minute quickie lecture-demonstration just for the purpose of generally showing off!;) If they don't ask for it, then you have a pre-packaged speech for English, when they get to Public Speaking!

Mel Johnson

A Paul Harris Member

Rotary International

Guest Medora

Wow!! I'll go to the Interact advisor tomorrow! I know him pretty well since he was our school SCA advisor for the past two years. Then he stopped SCA and began to sponsor interact. I would have loved to have joined interact but between all the clubs I am already in, homework, and dance you know how it is. Cool! I'll let you know how this works out. :)

Best of luck to you, Medora. My parents are very supportive, but the money issue comes up a lot, so I certainly know what that's like.

Relatives are a good money source too; for your birthday or something, just ask for money. Even though they may only give 50 dollars or so (assuming you use dollars, I don't know where you live) it will still help.

But I wish you the best! :)

Guest Medora

I just can't ask Rotary behind my parents' backs, and they won't give me permission to ask. Nor will they give me the money or lend me the money so I can pay them back when I am older. They want me to "grow up" and get over my "stupid hair-brained dream." I just don't know what to do. I need to go to bed. :) Thanks anyway though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Firebird3000

I'm not sure how to do this but at my dance school when you need a scholarship for summer school you can get a grant from the government. Also if you talk to the dance director at your school there might be some way to get a bursary. I hope this in anyway helps.

That works fine in Canada, Firebird, but we Yankees have to make do with private resources, as the government doesn't love the arts they way they do in a truly civilized nation.;)