Ballet Talk for Dancers

headaches

Guest Dance Fish

Guest Dance Fish

I guess this is the right place to put this...maybe I shouldn't, since it might be more medical than ballet related...but anyway, I have this problem where, if I don't take a shower in the morning, I'll have a headache. My ballet class is at 9 in the morning, and it's a real pain to have headaches through it. I don't have much time to take a shower unless I wake up even earlier, and I don't see a point since I get all hot and sweaty in class anyway. If I take a shower in the morning, my EXTREMELY LONG, thick hair, takes forever to dry, even with a hairdryer,(which I hate anyway) and I don't want to have wet hair in class since a bun will make it stay wet. So...any suggestions? Maybe I should just see a doctor.

Speaking of headaches, I have one now....

• Administrators

See a doctor. Taking a shower or not should not have any relation to whether one has a headache or not. This does not make any sense. Daily or frequent headaches need an explanation. You need to determine the cause, and I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with taking a shower or not.

Guest Dance Fish

I know it does sound sort of strange, the whole shower thing, but I think it might be because a shower helps wake me up more. But, well, I''m not a medical expert or anything.

• Administrators

Well, as one who also depends on a morning shower, I understand that, but I just don't think that it really has anything to do with headaches during ballet class or not. Perhaps you just need to go ahead and give yourself the time in the morning to do that shower, even if you don't wash your hair every single day. There are some things that one needs to do, and if you need a shower, then get up early enough to do it. If it makes you feel better, and makes your class better, then it should be a priority.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest twinklehooves

What about a bath?? Do you get a headache if you take a bath?? What if you wore a shower cap or something of the sort??

I know this isn't helping "curing" the problem, just assisting it- making it easier to deal w/. Hope you find the problem and those darn headaches go away!!!! :(

Guest Aleasha Barkova

Could getting dehydrated have something to do with it? I know when you get a shower you aren't ingesting water but in a way you're hydrating your body. I get migraines so I know what a pain (no pun intended) it is to get headaches. Try drinking an extra bottle of water before class. It can't hurt to try.