Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Your suggestion please

Guest Dancing Angel

Guest Dancing Angel

A month ago I had pulled my hamstrang muscle on my right leg. My teacher said it was probably from stretching too often and stretching without warming up. My hamstrang is much better now but I want to go back to my regular stretching. I currently don't feel as flexibile as I was before. I want to go back to stretching but I don't know if that's the best idea to go right back. If you have an advice or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your teacher is right; hamstring muscles can be injured by stretching them by either too much or too cold. Start stretches easily. Do the easier and passive ones (the ones that depend more on gravity than anything else) first, before class, then a couple between barre and center, if there's an opportunity, then save the most vigorous stretches for your warm-down after class. But to start with, take it easy! If you feel pain in anything, ease off immediately!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IrishLiLangel89

I know what your going through! I pulled my hamstrang a while ago! And it has gotten alot better with certain stretching, but now I dont feel as flexible as I was! I cant do my left split all the way to the floor anymore!(I pulled it in my left leg) I am like 5 inches away! Well if I still stretch lightly and practice my splits I will get better in time! Talk to you later!

Guest IrishLiLangel89

Hey Danceidiot12! You know who I am, we go to the same dance studio! Well from what our dance teacher has told me, heel stretches will help, splits, the warm-up where you grab your heel and pull it towards your head while you are laying down, and stuff like that! But a warning, never do these stretches too fast! Do them nice and slowly, hold it there for about a minute or two, then release and try again! You can do these in the morning before you go to school, after school, or even while you are waiting for class to start! and if you ever need help, you know where to find me! hope I helped! Talk to you later!

• Administrators

Dancers, this is why we have moderators here. Advice on stretching, especially for a pulled hamstring, is NOT given by students, as they do not have a thorough base of knowledge in terms of injuries. Hamstrings should NOT be stretched until they are totally healed. Also, one does not do serious stretching, like for hamstrings, without some warmup first. Once there has been a hamstring injury, then one must be extra careful and stretch very slowly, get thoroughly warmed up, and be sure to never do things like splits when not warmed up.

Guest goingforsatin

You should listen to your teacher. He/she is who knows best, and you could really hurt yourself to the point that you could no longer dance if you ignore their advice.

Guest twinklehooves

I know I'm not a moderator- but you could try placing a heating pad over your hamstring before class- to warm it up.

I'm not sure if you would ice it or not afterwards- that's for the moderators to say.

Just my suggestion that my teacher has suggested to me before. :(

Guest IrishLiLangel89

Victoria Leigh- Yeah, I know that you have to warm-up first, that is what my teacher told me to do, I just forgot to add it! Yes, warm-up before you stretch, like stretch after you do barre work or something, and as I said before, stretch slowly, if you stretch too fast, the hamstring will probably start to hurt worse!

Placing a heating pad or other warming source over a painful area won't warm it up as much as it will act as a palliative - that is, it will reduce pain. This is especially true if you're done with the acute phase of injury, which usually passes after about 3 days. Hamstrings can't be stretched until they are healed. It's that simple, but it's cruel.:(