Ballet Talk for Dancers

auditions in OH

Guest Leap4stars77

Guest Leap4stars77

Hello, I'm Mandi and I'm 14 and have been studying ballet since I was 3. I have always been very serious when it came to dance, but lately I have been considering pursuing the career of a professional ballerina. I was wondering if there are any schools or companies in Ohio, preferably Northeastern Ohio, that are holding auditions or will be holding auditions. I would greatly apprecite it if someone who had this information shared it with me. Thank you :)

• Administrators

Hello Mandi, welcome back! We haven't seen you in a very long time here on Ballet Alert Online.

Are you thinking of an audition for a pre-professional or company school? If so, then I think that most all of them will audition you for their programs during registration week, or early on in the school year. They generally do not hold student auditions except for Summer Intensives and perhaps for specific performances where they might need children or additional young dancers for a particular production, like Nutcracker for instance.

Are you looking for a school near where you live? If so, we need to know what major cities are near you in order to recommend places for you to try. To my knowledge there are no full-time, boarding school Academies in Ohio, so I would assume that you will have to commute to wherever you decide to study. A little more information would be helpful here.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest Leap4stars77

I live in Mentor, which is near Cleveland. I am looking for a pre-professional academy or company to help prepare me to be a professional ballerina. Thank you for your time.

• Administrators

Mandi, I would have recommended the School of the Cleveland San Jose Ballet, but I believe when the company left, the school also closed. However, according to the listings in Dance Magazine, the former director of that school now has The Cleveland School of Dance. The address listed is a P.O. Box in Mayfield Hts., but the phone number is 216-320-9000 and there is a URL for a website (which I have not looked at yet) www.CSD2000.org

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest Leap4stars77

Thank you very much for that information, it was extremely helpful. Do you know of any other schools? Just so that I may have a choice or comparison.

• Administrators

Sorry Mandi, that's the only one I know of.

There is also Cleveland City Dance located in Euclid, OH (near cleveland) which is about 5 minutes from the Cleveland School of Dance. The Cleveland School of dance is more strict and slightly more professional. But Cleveland City Dance is way more fun and in my opinion gives better training. However, if you really need to be pushed by teachers rather than by yourself, it might be better to train at Cleveland School of Dance. Both schools pretty much turn out the same number of pre-professional dancers in terms of summer intensive acceptance. As far as i know, Cleveland school of dance has not had any of its dancers go on to classical ballet companies. There are a few girls who have gone on to modern companies. (don't forget, the school is new). There have been two girls from Cleveland City dance who have pursued professional careers, at the PA ballet and one in NYC.