Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rachel

Family decisions: "Growing up" at a Residency

fendrock

Balletmartyr -- Walnut Hill School is still accepting applications for the fall -- take a look at www.walnuthillarts.org

aspirant

SAB auditions the first week in September for the Winter Course (though this is a complicated version of 'ballet boarding school')

mylildancer

How so, Aspirant?

Taradriver

There are so many variables here, there is no one "right" answer. Certainly the school environment is very important, no matter how mature the student may be. Though the family dynamics are not the responsibility of the child, there will be changes that affect the entire family and they should be considered, as well. If it is truly in the student's best interest, go for it. If it doesn't work out, for whatever reason, there are always other options. (My husband's 90 yr old Mum in the UK still wants to know when he's coming home from America . . .)

aspirant

SAB is a ballet school that has a boarding facility but not strictly boarding students. It does not have an academic school, though provides help and support to match the students with other academic options (public, private and homeschool/correspondence).

Hans

That is the typical arrangement in the US for a ballet boarding school. Programs such as UBA and Harid are unusual.

Balletmartyr

Great ideas about boarding school pros and cons with the possible avenues to pursue. Everyone is so resourceful!

I am still confused about the posts regarding SAB. A boarding school without boarding? :D I don't understand. Maybe someone can eloborate...

Edited by Balletmartyr

syr

I think they are saying there IS boarding, but no school (academic). Dance students have to conquer that frontier on their own.

Hans

Yes, the students at SAB are boarding students--that is, they live and eat where they have their ballet classes. They make their own arrangements regarding academics, though, and the school helps with that. They may either take correspondence courses, or they have the option of attending the Professional Children's School (a private high school geared toward children in the performing arts) or the Professional Performing Arts School, which is similar, but public. I do not recommend attending the La Guardia School unless your child is talented in an area other than dance (for example, a friend of mine played the flute at La Guardia and danced at SAB) because they will have to dance at La Guardia and SAB.

tendumom

Balletmartyr, if, indeed, you are reconsidering the idea of a year round school, I echo the suggestion to call the school where your daughter was accepted for summer. If they were highly interested in her, they may still find a way to have room for her for their summer program. You never know unless you ask. Best of luck.

ABTgirl14

Excuse me for posting here as I am not an adult, so please delete if inappropriate. However, I am also finding myself in the same dillemma as Rachel. :unsure: I was wondering if you had any sons or daughters who attend/attended NCSA and what your opinion is about that school. It would be nice to hear from a parent's perspective. Thanks! :shrug:

-Sarah-

Guest Megari
That is the typical arrangement in the US for a ballet boarding school.  Programs such as UBA and Harid are unusual.

Just a note. Harid is a boarding school that uses the local public school system whereas Universal Ballet Academy, formerly Kirov Academy is a boarding school with ballet classes and academics on campus.

balletbooster

I think what Hans meant was that both Harid and UBA have a set academic plan for their students. In the case of Harid, RWB and VSA, students are transported to a local public highschool and at UBA, NBS, Walnut Hill and North Carolina, the academics are provided in-house.

This differs from SAB, Houston, PNB, SFB and others who do offer some housing in or near the ballet facilities. These students are responsible to find their own school and so students are completing their education at a variety of different schools and through e-learning/correspondence.

Hans

Exactly, Balletbooster, thank you :blink:.

Redstorm

What a great post! This topic has been coming up more and more lately as DD is getting close to 13. She wants to train at a year round school so bad she can taste it! Personally, I am waiting to see how she handles her first SI away from home. Her reaction to that experience will be either the begininng or the end to the boarding school issue.

We do have the potential for a compromise. There is a school within train/bus distance that has a great reputation for the arts as well as academics but I don't actually know anyone who has attended. Maybe someone out there knows someone that has attended this school. San Francisco's School of the Performing Arts. The admittance process is long and time consuming so before undertaking this task, I would love to hear more about their dance program.

If anyone is familair with it...please let me know, either on the board or PM me.

If this turns out not to be an option, then we will have to consider allowing her to live away from home. The mere thought of it terrifies me. (and excites my daugther!)