Ballet Talk for Dancers

Kirov Academy

kirovgal

I am considering the Kirov Academy's year-round program, and I was wondering if anyone has any experiences (positive OR negative)that they could share with me. Any help in making this decision (I have an extremely limited amount of time to decide) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I just deleted a post on this thread because it violated the rules of this forum, noted at the top:

This forum is restricted to dance students 13 to 16 and its moderators. All posts by others, no matter how well-intentioned, (unless specifically asked by the moderators to contribute input to a question under discussion) will be deleted without notification.

• Administrators

kirovgal, I'm not sure if we have any Kirov students currently active on the board. There have been in the past, but the one I know of for sure has graduated and is now in Switzerland with no regular access to a computer. Seems to me there is a male dancer from there who posts once in a while, but I can't remember his name. Perhaps he will see this topic.

In any case, the decision should be made by you and your parents, based on your experience in visiting there, auditioning, and maybe attending a summer program. My advice on this kind of thing is generally the same, and that is, IF you are getting excellent pre-professional training at home, then I don't like to see young dancers leave home before they graduate. IF, however, your training is not adequate at home, then it will be necessary to leave.

Hi Kirovgal (gotta love the name!)

I am currently a student at the Kirov Academy. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the school.

I know that the school doesn't have the greatest of reputations everywhere, but let me assure you that I have found nothing negative about the school at all. The environment is very warm and comfortable.

In any case, ask away: I'll do my best to answer any of your questions!

---Casey

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: CADalton ]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Just an additional question to CADalton...

I was accepted for the summer program, and was thinking of going. I was wondering... how big are the classes? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Purplrina

There were 35 people in my friend's class. I thought this to be quite large and wondered how in the world the teacher must see everyone, but my friend improved and I guess that's what matters! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about the Kirov in D.C. then I can help you if you have questions about the summer program. I went there last summer. There are a lot of people in my class(32) so the teacher couldn't give everyone individual attention, but my technique got a lot better because everything is very detailed. A lot of things improved like my turn out after I went there. It was a good experiance.