Ballet Talk for Dancers

studying and ballet

Guest ziva cvar

Guest ziva cvar

Hello!

for I while I am being concerned with a one question. Is it possible to study at university and beside that also dance ballet in the company or yet school. I am quite sure that here it is, but what about in the other states, like USA, England , France,...My parents always keep asking me, when I am persuading them that I would like to dance, if I could study beside ballet??

It is, of course, possible to do that, especially in a larger city, where good schools are available besides the university. It can complicate your scheduling, but it shouldn't keep you from trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it's possible. I live in the USA and I am going to college to major in dance. plus I'm in the honors program. If you wanted to study something else as well, you can always double major in dance and something else, like English. Might be hard work, but it has been done before.

Guest IrishKitri

I´m in my third year of study and I have dance class 3 times a week plus dance every day at home. I think it´s possible. Don´t forget the money issue though! If you´re not lucky enough (like I was...) that can become pretty expensive! So plan to have a weekend job!

Guest Nadezhda

Ziva-

In Slovenia it's certainly possible to dance in the company as well as study on University. It's a lot of work, but it is doable. If you are considering studying ballet and something else abroad, it can be done. But I believe it's almost impossible to dance professionally in a foreign country and study at University at the same time. Foreign dance compaines just have a very different class/rehearsal regime than our companies...:)

Guest ziva cvar

Yeah, I was thinking about the things that Nadezsha wrote in. Because I know it is quite possible in our country to study in University and dancing in the company, ofcourse it is hard but you can do it. I was not sure for foreign companies, how would that work out if someone wants to do it somewhere else...Probably it would not be possible. Thanks for responses,z.

Hi ziva cvar

Mjr Mel has given me permission to post this in here as I'm not a YD.

You asked about the UK in your original post - over here there would be an option of studying with the Open University, which is a flexible, part-time learning uni. Anyone can study with them, and they currently have about 250,000 students on their books. I work full-time and am studying for a degree with them outside work - it can be tiring but is very rewarding. If you wanted to learn more about them you could visit:

Open University

Hope this helps :)

Tracey

Guest ziva cvar

Thanks!

that is exactly what I meant! The problem is just that I am still in a ballet school and if I would go some day to uk I think that would be a ballet school, I dont think that I could go in the theatre! That is probably the place where you are... But I thnk that this info is very useful. And how much does it costs?

Actually, I am not in the theatre :) , although I would love to be! I am a secretary at the moment, adult ballet student when I can get to class, and part-time OU student studying for either an Environmental or Biological Sciences degree (can't make up my mind at the moment!). If you were at ballet school over here you would probably need to discuss further education with the principal of the school, however if you are working in a company your spare time will be your own.

The degree is made up of 360 points, and you can do modules of 10, 30 or 60 points. The 10 point modules are very cheap, £80 each, however most degrees will only let you do up to 6 of those. The 30 point modules are about £350, and the 60 point modules are about £450. They are done over 9-10 months of the year - Jan/Feb to October - and you can pay for them monthly if you don't have enough money to pay outright. Anyone at the OU would be more than pleased to have a discussion with you about what you would like to do and how to go about it.

Shout if you want anymore information :D .

Tracey