Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
Guest dance4life

Vaganova

Guest dance4life

Hello:

What is the diffrence between vagonava and classical ballet? aren't they the same?

Edited by moderator to correct the spelling of Madame Vaganova's name :)

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest dance4life

I just wanted to make sure it wasen't a totally diffrent thing, thank you very much! :)

Victoria Leigh

There are a number of different schools, or methods of teaching classical ballet. They all lead to the same place, hopefully! Vaganova is the Russian school, Cecchetti is Italian, RAD is English, Bournonville is Danish, and there are others like the Paris Opera Ballet and the Cuban Ballet, and of course SAB, which teaches "Balanchine". They are all based on basic technique of classical ballet, but each has a slightly different approach in terms of methodology and style. While all of the terms in ballet are French, there are sometimes two or three different terms for the same movement or step and sometimes one method uses one term and another method will use a different term for the same thing. In America a lot of teachers use a mixture of several of the methods, and some have created their own syllabus for their method of teaching. As in the fact that there are a lot of roads which lead to Rome, there are a lot of methods that lead to training a dancer! :)

Mel Johnson

And to answer a followup question I can see coming, Vaganova is named for Agrippina Vaganova, a great teacher in Russia, who remade the teaching system there, tailored to the demands of her (early 20th century) time, and the great traditions of Russian ballet. She was one of the defining figures of 20th-century ballet. :)

dancingmeghan

does it matter on which one your taking?

(Checcitti or Vagnova)

Victoria Leigh

Meghan, it's Cecchetti and Vaganova. (The title of this topic is not spelled correctly, but I will take care of that now.) Both schools are good, as are all the other recognized systems. The difference is in the teaching. If the teachers are good, then it is not a problem.

baking_balletdancer

Hi! I am at a new dance school and they teach the Vaganova method there. I have never done Vaganova before, and this class was EXTREMELY intense. The school is run by two professionals from the Bolshoi ballet and teach their classes much like the ones in Russia. Since I am behind in learning this technique, I am in a class with 11 year olds(I'm 13)! Two of the boys in my level are extremely talented and won full scholarships to the Royal Ballet School in London by competing in the Youth America Grand Prix this year. I feel so lost and stupid when I take this class, and I also feel I may burn out. I am used to three, 2hr classes a week, and I just got over and injury that kept me off my feet since January. But at this school, there are six, 2 hr classes a week with up to 40 minutes of pointe per week. This is a problem. I started pointe 3 years ago and the girls here started pointe this past February. I am used to taking 2-3, 1 hr pointe classes a week. So, my question is, Should I even be going to this school? I would have to basically start over in my technique to build up my muscles and it could take me years to catch up to the level I'm supposed to be in. Or, I could go to another school with technique that's similar to what I'm used to and be in a higher level. I don't know what to do!

Thanks a bunch,

baking_balletdancer :D

Mel Johnson

A lot of the answer to this question will depend on what you want out of ballet. Do you want to track toward a career, or are you a recreational dancer? Also, returning to ballet via a new school after time off will always produce some culture shock. It sounds like your new school is definitely interested in training students for the professional world. Knowing nothing more about it than what you've told us makes me think that this is a good school, and you ought to stick with it.

Victoria Leigh

Baking_balletdancer, first, before responding to this post, I must ask you to make a decision immediately as to whether you are baking_balletdancer or frilly_tutugal. I wrote to you over a week ago, asking you to make this decision, as you cannot be registered on the board with two names. Please let me know which name you wish to continue using.

As to the school, I agree with Mr. Johnson. Whenever one changes schools there is a "culture shock' to deal with, and very often it requires starting well below where you were at another school. Added to that is the fact that you were out of dance for several months, and that alone would necessitate the need for lower level, slower classes. The level you are in is not at all important at this time. Getting the best training possible is what is important. Therefore, if this training is the best, then stay with it and work your way up. If it is not the best available training, then exploring another school might be valid, but going to another school to be in a higher level is not valid. If the other school is equally professional, then it is highly likely that you would be in a lower level there as well. You have to look at this long range, in terms of what you want to get from your ballet training. If you are doing it only recreationally, then perhaps a different type of school would make you happier. But, if you have any idea of dancing professionally, then you must choose the school with the highest quality training. :D

baking_balletdancer

Hello! First of all, I would like to be baking_balletdancer. I changed my name because I forgot my password and my e-mail address I gave you was not quite working... Anyway, I definitely want to become a professional ballet dancer and join a company when I am old enough. But I am still "shopping around" at other schools here before I make my decision. I am going to take a look at them this week. Although, I don't think that any of these other schools will even compare to this Vaganova technique school. But, one of the other schools is Cechetti technique(which I am more used to) and has annual exams. I think someone from the Cechetti Council of America comes to test the students. The other school I am going to look at seems like it may be a Dolly Dinkle compared to these, but you never know. By the way, I am trying to keep in shape because I have not danced in so long. I don't have much room to dance in the house, so I'm not sure what to do. I've been doing some excercise tapes(not ballet tapes), but I fear I'm not working the correct muscles and may do some damage to them. Do you think I should quit doing the tapes? Do you have any suggestions on what else I could do to excercise? I've been thinking of jogging or swimming but I'm not sure what would be a good type of exercise for a dancer to do.

baking_balletdancer :)

Victoria Leigh

baking_balletdancer, is the email address you used for this registration working? I emailed you over a week ago and you never responded. We must have a working email for our members, and if this one is not valid, your membership will be revoked.

As to the exercise, ballet is the best exercise for a ballet dancer. Jogging is not good. Swimming is okay, as long as you don't do it like training for the Olympics. But, it will not keep you in ballet shape. Make a space and do your barre every day, religiously. This is much better than an exercise tape, especially if you are not exactly sure how to do all the exercises. Pilates is also good, but only with an instructor until you know what you are doing.

Good luck in finding the best school, and please let me know about the email address immediately. Meanwhile, I will delete the registration for frilly_tutugal.

[Editing to add: Email response received after writing this post. Thank you.]

~DaNcInQuEeN~

I am attending a new school next year that is very Vaganova-based. I am hoping someone who is knowledgable in this method can give me a heads up of what changes to expect next year. Like in style, terminology, etc. The school that I attend currently does not have a designated method/syllabus- it is a mix and each teacher contributes his/her own style.

I observed a Vagonova trained dancer the other day who took class at our studio and am hoping someone can clarify whether the mannerisms she exibited are unique to herself or due to her training in the Vaganova method.

- EVERYTHING was done with a perfect 180 degree turnout, there was some rolling in to acheive this

- When she did a tondue a lot of the weight was on her toes, they still appeared curled when in the air

- Her degages were much higher than what I was taught, her toe was in line approx. with her knee

- Her cou de pied position was very high also, her toes about at the base of her calf (where it starts to

get muscular)

- Her arabesque arm fingertips opposite the shoulder, much lower than what I am used to, and the

elbow was somewhat bent. Her elbow in allonge was quite softened also.

- Her arms in first position were also lower than what I am accustomed to- fingers opposite the waist

even during turns

- Overall she was still very flexible and musical (although most of her movements didn't have an

"accent"- they were done with an even tempo and filled out the music to the most extent) despite

stylistic differences. She looked like a very strong and graceful dancer to me! She had a gorgeous

line! :ermm:

Thanks in advance!

Mel Johnson

Then it's not being taught correctly.

Vrsfanatic is our resident Vaganova maven, but she's headed to Jackson this week, so not as available.

Some of the things you cite, as the height of the degagé and the arm positions, are innocuous. Others, like rolling, are not.