Ballet Talk for Dancers

"Bad" teaching

Guest DancingRI

Guest DancingRI

That is what i have in my school! hehe So i was wondering if you know about any good dance schools in R.I. (i mean, if there are any good ones!) I need a school that teaches ballet, tap and jazz!!! Its tough finding that kind of school in such a small state! ;)

• Administrators

Unfortunately, Ballet Dancer, trying to find good ballet teaching in a school that teaches ballet, tap and jazz is not very likely. Possible, but not likely. They do exist, but are few and far between. You may need to make a decision on which area you wish to specialize, and find the school that does the best with that subject, and then look elsewhere for the other subjects. There are a couple of good ballet schools in Rhode Island, but I have no idea about tap and jazz. If you want the ballet schools, let me know, and I will get the names for you.

• Administrators

Amanda, Festival Ballet Dance Center in North Providence is one of them. I believe there is another, possibly in Lincoln. Major Mel will know about this one when he gets here.

The other is the Brae Crest School of Ballet, on Sherman Avenue in Lincoln, very close to Lincoln Woods Park. Old established family school, and the people are very nice.

I know the director at Festival Ballet of Rhode Island. I had him for 6 years as a teacher before he was there. He teaches in a strict European style, and I learned a lot from him. If you end up there, I hope that you learn as much from him as I did!

And while not disparaging Mischa at all, I used to dance with Mrs. Marsden at Brae Crest. In fact, it was while she was pregnant with her son, Richard, who just left NYCB to dance with Diablo Ballet in San Diego. The school teaches a lot in the Legat tradition, with certain updates from Balanchine, gained since Richard went to SAB.

(PS. Let me tell you, dancing with a Pregnant Lady for the first time was a real nervous-in-the-service experience for an 18-year-old! Mel: Herci, am I uh...crowding him? Mrs. Marsden: Mel, dear, shut up and dance!)

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]