Ballet Talk for Dancers

Problems with Mentors

Guest Batina

Guest Batina

Hi! I have a problem with one of my ballet teachers; she continually makes comments that offend some of my peers who retort with alternate comments which eventually lead to a fight that makes the rest of the class uncomfortable and takes up valuable time. I, however, find the comments she makes to me helpful. My friend often complains to me in class about this situation and i dont know how to respond. I know that this is a situation that my teacher and friend should work out themselves, but in the mean time my classmates and i are put out and lose valuable class time. Might anyone have some suggestions regarding how to handle such a thing? thanks!

• Administrators

Any teacher who tolerates that kind of thing in classes is not in charge of the class. Look for another school. The students are wrong to argue with the teacher, but it's the teacher who is allowing it, and obviously does not command their respect. Perhaps she is young and inexperienced, however students who do this have not been brought up in ballet etiquette, and probably not very well at home either. If the teacher accepts it, it's her problem. I would throw them out in a heartbeat.