Ballet Talk for Dancers

fear of turning en pointe

Guest seg2dance

Guest seg2dance

ok i have been en pointe for years, and i can do turns, except with fouette turns and double <or +> pirouettes, i get through one and i chicken out, i like give out. especially with fouette turns i do the pirouette prep then chicken out....and have practiced doing the releve part w/ out turnig and that i do fine, i jsut fidn w/ the turning i just get scared adn give out. < if that makes sense> anyways i was wonderign if you knew of any way to overcoem this? sorry this is so long! Thank you for your time!

<3 Stephenie

• Administrators

Stephenie, this is kind of a vicious circle kind of thing. When one is scared of something, the natural reaction is to back away from it. When one is back, especially with the weight of the body, then one does not arrive, or at least cannot maintain, a center on pointe. Without this, one will not turn.

How does one overcome this? The same way one gets to Carnegie Hall :) Practice, practice, practice! Do quarter turn, half turn, single turn over and over until you establish your center and a secure balance point up there and learn to ENJOY being up there. Then just go a bit beyond a single turn. Then a bit more beyond. When you accomplish a double turn, and do it a bunch of times, hopefully it will become FUN! Then, and only then will you begin to turn consistently and perhaps can think about fouettés. Before you have achieved this, attempting fouettés is futile.

• 1 month later...
Guest JRSDANCER87

I was very nervous about turning on pointe too. We aren't doing fouettes yet, but we do work on double and sometimes tripple pirouettes on pointe. I was told not to think about the turn. My teacher explained the way your body turns as an "inner spiral". She said that if I think about turning almost inside myself I will just turn without trouble. She said for me to pretend that there was a spiral inside of me and I was just following the spiral as it goes 'round and 'round until the end which would be the finish of the turn. I tried to think of that and to think that my arms just closed into first position. Tried not to think that they pulled me around or anything else. I thought of the power from the back leg right up to the position and then the "inner spiral" turning. I found it a lot easier to turn. I'm not sure if that image will help you, or if it will work with fouettes, but I hope I helped some :)

Guest BroadwayDiva8

I have the same fear of turning en pointe. :eek: But, I'm trying to over-come it. I'm just taking it slowly: first half turns, then a full single. Once, I'm comfortable with singles, then I try to do a little more. It just takes time. I hope this helps!

~Aimee~ ;)

Guest seg2dance

this is probably more of a "brag" topic, but at my last ballet class for the summer i did a double pirouette on pointe twice!!! < a big accomplishment for me b/c i woudl alsways chicken out at teh 2nd one!>

:) stephenie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Azza_4eva

Its cool to know I'm not alone in my fear of turning en pointe... I think the one thing my teacher told me that helped me was that I had to have faith - faith in myself and faith in my training. if you're well trained a teacher wouldn't ask you to attempt pirouettes on pointe if she didn't think you were ready... so, just go for it - and more importantly ENJOY IT!!!

I had a similar fear of Balanchine pirouettes -- that is, wide fourth, bit more 'dramatic' arms, straight leg in back -- until one of our guest teachers, Violette Verdy, came right up to me and told me, in a low whisper, "Don't worry. The ground is not going to run away, because look at all the people stepping on it!" :) And so, I went for it, fell flat on my face, but got up and pulled off a clean triple.

Like how Ms. Leigh said, pulling back from the task only makes it that much harder and seemingly difficult to accomplish. And whenever I'm in class, a humorous approach towards the aspect of falling (like how I did) can make the fear of the actual thing dissolve.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. :D

--Luka

I now realize that I used to turn SO much better, but that was when I was eleven and twelve and not scared at all of falling flat on my face. Which I did, quite often. I still do, but not in pirouettes. I guess I should.

Guest ScottieGDE13

I would say that the 2 main problems people have with pirouettes are a) fear and :) pushing too hard. But for most people it is a. I think there is some value to falling in class... If you fall, you learn from the mistake you made. If you fall, you learn to not be afraid of the floor. I've had many teachers say the same thing in class as Ms. Verdy said to Luka... basically, "Quit being afraid of falling, the floor's not THAT far away." And if you've ever experienced a fall in class that did not cause injury, you know that it's not as bad as it seems. One of my SI teachers (Lorraine Graves) told us, "Are you afraid of turning? It's funny because all the things you're trying to do to stop you from falling are making you fall." How ironic and yet so true.

Of course all this is not to say you should go try to fall and that falling is more valuable than just doing it right. And of course injury is inevitable the more you fall. I just wanted to point out that people who have a fear of falling in pirouettes are making a mountain out of a molehill and I'm not afraid of turning because I HAVE fallen a lot, and I've realized that if I just go for it I have a bigger chance of turning well than if I sit back and worry.

yesterday, i first turned all of my turns. i was really scared before. endehors is not really that scary, but endedans IS. once i did them, i have to practice on the technique, but i overwon my fear!!!

I get really afraid as well. I have really high and strong arches, and I'm always afraid that I'll roll over and hurt my ankle. But, I'm working on it, and they're not that scary once you do them more and more. :)