Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

hip rotation problem

Guest maggie

Guest maggie

I have a problem with my hip rotation, and I'm hoping someone can help me. Basically, I am extremely flexible in my hips (unfortunately the only part of my body with any real flexibility), and I can achieve a perfectly flat "frog" without any effort at all. I can achieve good turn out in first, fifth, a la seconde a terre, etc., but it seems I lose all rotation once I'm en l'air. This lack of rotation is particulary obvious a la seconde en l'air (I have fairly decent rotation to devant and derriere), and it seems to be limiting my extension.

My teachers keep telling me to "open up" my hips, and I focus on pressing my supporting hip back, while pulling up in my abs and pressing my lower back down. But I still can't seem to achieve better rotation. One teacher suggested I was flexing my hip rotators and the muscles on the front of my hips/pelvic bone too hard while en l'air, so I try to visualize relaxing these muscles, but I haven't had much luck with this either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a placement or strength issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

maggie

:)

• Administrators

Maggie, are you trying to place your leg at a perfect à la seconde, meaning exactly side, like 180º? If so, this could be the problem, if you say the rotation is good devant and derrière. Even people with really good rotation will lose it if the leg is out of their control zone in seconde. Place the leg where you can rotate it and see where it is. It might just need to be a couple of inches more forward.

By the way, welcome to the Adult Ballet Students forum here on Ballet Alert! Online!

Guest maggie

Thank you Ms. Leigh (both for the welcome and the response)! I have tried lowering my leg and bringing it more to the front, but I seem to still have the same problem. It's as if once I leave devant and begin moving my leg around to a la seconde, all turn out goes out the window. It's as if somewhere around half-way between devant and seconde (en l'air) my rotation just gives out, and then once I am half-way between seconde and derriere, I find it again. I consulted with a physical therapist today who said he thought maybe my body just couldn't achieve the rotation or that I just needed to continue to stretch my muscles in that position. I seem to feel that it is a stregth issue or a placement issue that I need to address. Would you agree, or is my body just too old? (I really hope that is not the case!:) ).

Thanks again!

maggie

:)

• Administrators

A couple of things, Maggie.......it could be just a strength issue, as it does take a lot more of that to achieve the same kind of rotation en l'air that one can do in a frog. However, something in your post bothered me, and that is where you say "pressing my lower back down". If you are pressing down to the point of "tucking" under, or really sitting in the supporting leg, that makes extension with rotation almost impossible. It is very, very important to be totally lifted out of the supporting leg, with the body weight well placed more over the metatarsal of that foot and not in the heel.