Ballet Talk for Dancers

sore knees...did my teacher do something wrong?

Guest camarie1085

Guest camarie1085

Hi, on Monday I had a particularly intense ballet class. My teacher had us do a very long barre with no music that consisted of doing all the basics extremely slowly to work on ever ounce of technique. About the 2nd thing we did was grand plies but she told us to stop when we got to the bottom, I always thought sitting in grande plies was dangerous as I thought it put too much pressure on the knees, but of course I wouldn't think of not doing it, out of great respect for my teacher. This morning I woke up with pretty sore knees, which I thought was odd as I have never had sore knees, calves and quads at times yes, but not knees. And they're don't seem to be any opposition stretches that alleviate the pain. It's more over my knee caps. I was just wondering if what my teacher did was wrong, if I possible didn't pull up correctly when holding the grande plies and if they're are any stretches that will help. Thanks, sorry...I know this is a little too in depth and long

-Julie

• Administrators

Julie, that sounds extremely excessive to me. frown.gif Of course I am not a great believer in grand pliés anyway, especially at the beginning of class (except in 2nd position), and NEVER would allow stopping at the bottom of the plié. I use 4 measures of 3/4 music for a grand plié, and would never think of using anything slower. If you are asked to do those kind of excessively slow/stopping at the bottom pliés again, just say your knees hurt and your doctor advised you not to do grand plié except in second. smile.gif