Ballet Talk for Dancers

Careers in ballet

Guest Vonnie

Guest Vonnie

I recognize the fact that I'm only 13 years old, and only in RAD Elementary frown.gif , but I've always wanted to be a teacher. I also understand that I have to be the best dancer I could possibly be, in order to be a teacher, however I don't think I could ever "make it" as a dancer within an internationally-recognized company. Besides ballet, I want another type of career (i.e, business/medicine.) Do you think it would be possible for ballet teachers to have a primary career, and do freelance teaching? confused.gif

Guest Christina_ballerina

I had a ballet teacher who also worked retail at a dancewear store. I have also wondered about this. While I want very badly to be a ballet teacher, that really is more of an evening job. Seeing as I want to teach 3-10 year olds most of them would be in school or at pre-school.It would be fun to have a dance related day job, but I think it would become hard working day and evenings. Of course that depends on how many days a week you would be teaching ballet and what days. So it would be possible to have two jobs and still have free time. But if you want to be something like a doctor or a lawyer it would be quite hard. You have a long time to think, you're only 13, so don't worry too much. You'll figure out what you really want to do with your life as you grow and mature. I wanted to move to New York become a D.J.when I was 13. rolleyes.gif Now I want to be a ballet teacher. biggrin.gif Also look at Mrs. Leigh's post on facts of life about pointe work, they're are some dance related jobs listed.

Christina, the ballerina wink.gif

dancing_star, since you take at an RAD school, ask your teacher for the RAD requirements for Teacher Certification and/or Diploma. The information there as to requirements is accurate and needs only a few business courses to be right for a "freelancer" ballet teacher. Just be aware - being a teacher is NOT a "snug harbor" and somehow easier than having a "big" career as a leading dancer with a professional ballet company.

Guest Christina_ballerina

eek.gif Opps! I don't believe I have understood the question correctly. I thought she was asking about being a dance teacher and having another career on the side. I'm not familar with the term 'freelance' and primary carrer? confused.gif I thought freelance referred to teaching on the side and primary career was your number job that you worked full time. Did I miss something. Probably. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box you know. rolleyes.gif

Christina, the ballerina

dancing_star, being 13 and in elementary is not just being in that level. i was 15 when i started elementary and 17 when i took my exam. when you're 13 and in elementary, you're quite young, because that's the minimum-age to take the exam, unless you took pre-elementary and got highly commended or honours, then you're allowed to take the exam on a younger age.

as for the requirements of the RAD-teachers, you need to have your elementary to get into the teacher certificate programm and teacher diplom programm.

~SKIP~

Guest attitude

I'm not quite 16 anymore but I have something to say...

It's possible to have a "primary career" and be a freelance teacher as long as you can manage your time well. In the case of medicine though it would be very hard as doctors work incredibly long hours. Even people in business work long hours and often have work to take home and sometimes have to work weekends rolleyes.gif . I also can't imagine you being able to teach major grades as that would require a lot of contact hours with the students, going to seminars if you do syllabus and master classes. Teaching pre-schoolers/ tiny tots on the weekends, maybe.

But you have to remember that even if you only teach weekends it still requires a lot of dedication and patience. It's more than just teaching steps it's passing on knowledge while keeping them inspired and having fun along the way.

[ March 12, 2002, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: attitude ]

Let's determine some agreement on terminology, here. To me, a "freelancer" is not only a teacher who teaches independent of a regular faculty position, but can also take in the teacher who is a sole entrepreneur owner of his/her own studio. So primary career is usually in that second category, but there are quite a few in that first who can make a career out of "subbing around". Usually, though, there is a second specialty like coaching, that that sort of teacher also relies on for enhancing revenue.

Guest Vonnie

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions~! smile.gif I think I'll look into the RAD Teaching Certificate/Diploma program, but I think you have to be 25 in order to start it, right?

In Canada, I'm not sure about the regulations in other countries, if you get a Bachelor of Education, a diploma certifying your knowledge of dance with a recognized institution, and some experience with regional/international companies, you are permitted to teach dance at performing arts high schools, private dance schools, etc.

I also have great interest in becoming a teacher in normal school subjects, so a BEd (Bachelor of Education) could also be a benefit to that. I know it's a lot of hard work, but I think it can be done...

dancing_star, as far as i know, i'm already allowed to follow my student teacher certificate programm at a school in germany. i think you have to be 18 or something, i'm not sure, but you can find that at the homepage of the RAD

www.rad.org.uk

~SKIP~

I'm not sure if you are looking for other careers related to dance, but there is a really great article in this month (I think it's April, I have a subscription) about all dance-related careers. It has really detailed descriptions and I think it may help you if correctly understood your question. Hope I helped!

Heather smile.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

• Administrators

Heather, it might help if you tell us which magazine has this article wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what magazine Heather was talking about but Dance Spirit (March 2002 issue) has a list of 40 dance related jobs. They describe them and say how much they pay. You can read more on dancespirit.com and clicking on EXTRA!EXTRA!

~Meghan