Ballet Talk for Dancers

fouette pirouettes!!

Guest whos_lulu

Guest whos_lulu

I have recently changed ballet schools and came across something different in the way the two separate schools teach how to do fouette pirouettes. My old school said to releve whilst the leg is going out to second while my new school teaches to releve whilst bringing the leg into retiree (sp!!) Maybe there are just two ways to do fouette pirouettes or maybe one way is more technically correct I dunno.....any advice would be a great help.

Thank-you frown.gif

Now that depends - did your first school do the fouettés with a demi-grand rond de jambe to seconde from croisé devant, or just go straight out to second? In most cases, except maybe partnered finger-turns, the relevé happens on the pull in to retiré (the actual fouetté movement).

On the fouette topic-

I'm not exactly a great turner, but I can do double pirouettes on both legs. But when it comes to fouettes- I can do about three before I fall over. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Practice, practice, and more practice! wink.gif

Seriously, sarez (welcome back, by the way, we missed you!), fouettés are a trick, and they just need repetition, once you know HOW to turn and can do decent pirouettes, in order to build up the strength and the confidence. The spot is critical, along with the relevé strength, maintaining your center with correct placement, and the timing and coordination of it all is crucial. It can't be done in pieces. It needs to have the relevé and the rétiré action and the use of the upper body and arms all connected.

Guest whos_lulu

Both of my schools teach to do the demi-grande rond de jambe to second from croisee! But thank-you for the help next time I do fouettes it will clarify alot thanks! smile.gif

Guest whos_lulu

Both of my schools teach to do the demi-grande rond de jambe to second from croisee! But thank-you for the help next time I do fouettes it will clarify alot thanks! smile.gif

I have a major problem with hopping. I hop on fouttes and especially pirouettes. I can do about 3 fouttes really nice and then I start to hop. Do you know what I might be doing?

• Administrators

What you are doing is hopping, my dear! wink.gif Sorry, could not resist that, from the way the question was worded. As to what causes the hopping, it's generally because you are either not up all the way on your supporting leg, or not strong enough to maintain being up there throughout the pirouette. The abs and lower back let go, then the quads and knee release, and this leads to hopping to stay up.