Ballet Talk for Dancers

How can I tell?

petitallegro

I really want to dance professionally. However, I do not know if I will be good enough to do so! (I'm almost 16). I have been keeping my grades high/taking SATs/taking APs, etc. etc, just in case. It is just very hard for me to know that I want something so much, but to also not know if I am good enough.

How can I tell?

• Administrators

First of all, talk to your teacher! If you go to a summer intensive, talk to the teachers there and get their evaluations. Evaluate yourself, too. Where are you in your school in terms of age and level? Are you advancing regularly, taking a fully intensive program year round, dancing on a daily basis at LEAST 5 days a week and preferably 6, getting enough pointe work, performing occasionally, etc. Is your school a pre-professional school? If so, where are you in relation to the top level? If you have had a number of years of training, good training that is, and have also been exposed to watching professional dancers, then you should, by now, have some clue as to whether you have the physical ability and the talent. You would know by seeing yourself in class, and by the kind of encouragement you get from your teachers. By almost 16 you should know if you have the feet, the rotation, the flexibility, the coordination and ability to move well, and the musicality. Start with your teacher(s) by talking to them!

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Thank you for your time. I can tell where I am at for my studio. I guess my biggest problem is that I have only really seen the big name companies perform, so I don't know the calibur required for smaller companies.

Just because a company is smaller than, say, NYCB or ABT doesn't mean that the technical requirements for that company aren't just as stringent. In fact, they may be more so, because you can't hide in a company of ten dancers!