Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Sara

Ballet schools in Wisconsin

Guest Sara

I have just started ballet and I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable ballet schools in the Waukesha/Mukwonago area of Wisconsin. Thanks!

-Sara

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Dressage Fan ]

Victoria Leigh

Hello Dressage Fan, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of those areas of Wisconsin. Hopefully someone else on board will have some information for you. How far is it from Milwaukee?

Guest Sara

I think it is about 45 min. to an hour away from Milwaukee, if that's any help.

-Sara

Victoria Leigh

Okay Sara, my guess is that you will probably need to get yourself to Milwaukee, to the school of the Milwaukee Ballet, if you want serious quality ballet training. It's possible of course that there is someone in one of those towns, but I think it would be a surprise, as one usually needs a fairly sizable city to find good training.

Guest Sara

We only have two schools in town; one focuses completely on competition, and the other one is very recreational. I go to the recreational one right now because the teachers and students are much more polite than at the other school, but I'm not getting the training I need to reach my full potential. Do you know if there are any requirements to get into the school of the Milwaukee Ballet? Thanks again for your help!

-Sara

Guest Tyraney

how close is that also to appleton? because there's an excelent ballet school there that's associated with the children's ballet theater. there's also another good school in steven's point called the turning point. those are the two i personally know of, but i'm sure there's a few more scattered about. and by the way victoria, there are a few good sized city's in wisconsin. milwalkee, madison, eau claire, la crosse, green bay, appleton... :)

Victoria Leigh

True, Tyranney, but she said she was not that far from Milwaukee. I'm afraid I'm not too sure about where the other places are in that state. I'm sure there are other schools which are good, but I just don't know about them.

Guest Sara

Appleton is about 2 hours from where I live so I don't think that's going to work. :) I think I'm going to go with Victoria's suggestion and look into the Milwaukee Ballet school and see how my parents react to that.

-Sara

justdoit94

I was wondering if anyone has some recent info about the professional program at the Milwaukee ballet school?

I am very interested in this school and would love to hear more about it.

Does one have to audition for the school? I looked on the website, it didn't realy say... Just that one has to audition for their SI.

aldballerina

What about Dance Wisconsin? They are a RDA honor company.

athena_wiles

aldballerina, if you are interested in Dance Wisconsin, I'd try looking up the Monona School of Dance - my understanding is that they are the "home base" of Dance Wisconsin, so to speak, and that many of the dancers who perform with Dance Wisconsin train there. But, I don't really know much more than that.

If you're looking for info about schools in the Madison area in general, I'd definitely check out Madison Ballet. I had a great experience there. Have to run right now, but if there's interest, I'll write up a more detailed post later :-)

aldballerina

I was adding to the list. I don't actually live in Wisconsin. Sorry for the confusion.

dancemaven

We really prefer that folks list schools they are familiar with, rather than just listing schools. Generally folks are looking for some information rather than just a listing as they'd find in the phone book or on-line. :wink:

Gracegirlz

Any advice for finding a classical ballet academy in or around Madison? There seems to be a plethora of competition dance studios. Looking for schools that have a solid classical ballet foundation.

Mobadt

I do know that there is a Madison Ballet and that it is a company with a school. My DD is a professional dancer and knows one of the corps members and has also auditioned there. She said that it is a good solid company, and enjoyed the class when she auditioned.