Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ankle Problems

Guest crissydancer

Guest crissydancer

Hey everyone!

Ok! About 2yrs. ago I kind of got tendinitus in my left ankle. I had to be off it for a week. I also have Fibromyelgia (this is a type of arthiritis). So whenever I get hurt, I have problems with it for the rest of my life. Anyway, since I hurt it, I have problems getting all the way up on point. My problem is that I want to continue on point (partly cause I have only 3 more yrs. left), but I kind of think I should take a year off or something. What do you think I sould do?

• Administrators

Chrissy, this is not a question that can be answered by other people. This should be a matter between you and your doctor. There is no way we can know what the difficulty and dangers might be from continuing, or even if there are no dangers and it is a matter of overcoming some pain and strengthening the formerly injured area enough to be able to do pointe work. I will say this however, if you are not able to get all the way up on pointe, then you should not be working on pointe, no matter what the cause of the inability. I suggest you talk to your orthopedic physician. Perhaps he can prescribe physical therapy to help strengthen the injured area and make it possible for you to return to pointe work.