Ballet Talk for Dancers

Help! Inflexible, wide feet in pointe shoes!

Guest PrimaDivaBallerina

Guest PrimaDivaBallerina

Help! I have a couple of key problems with my feet. First of all, they're incredibly inflexible. It's not their strength; i have nice strong feet, its just that my arch isn't well developped at all. this makes the line of my foot not extremely graceful, and as you have to work to point even harder in pointe shoes, I have trouble making my foot look pointed. It also creates a problem going up on pointe, i have to use a very soft shank and even then going on pointe in second is hard to get all the way up. How can i work on my feet to make them more arched?

The other problem is that i'm having a LOT of trouble finding the right pointe shoe. I have pizza feet: narrow heels, and the rest of the foot gets wider and wider. they dont even taper at the toes after the bunion area! i've tried blochs, capezios, chacotts, and grishkos, but none have really worked; all but the blochs were wide enough in the bunion area but they tapered too sharply inward at the toe and were causing my toes to crunch and buckle-- ouch!! and the blochs, while wide enough all over, just felt weird, and with my inflexible foot were really hard to break in enough to get all the way onto the box (plus they made my feet look like these wide boat things!) what shoes should i try??? thanx!!!

• Administrators

PrimaDiva, may I ask how old you are? I notice that you posted on another topic about knees not being straight, and with this one about your feet, I am concerned that perhaps you are not quite ready to be on pointe. Can you give us some information on your training history and current classes, as well as your age?

You really should check out the archives here on Ballet Talk, especially the Young Dancers Archives. We have SO much info on feet, and how to improve them. It's a topic that comes up all the time, and there are lots and lots of posts about this. Essentially they all boil down to tendus, tendus, and more tendus, plus of course gazillions of dégagés, pas de chevals, frappés, and then extra work with a theraband. Do some reading! wink.gif

Guest LilacGirl

I hope I am allowed to post here, if not then I am sorry.(Please let me know Ms. Leigh) I am 16, so I dont know if I should just post on the other board or on both or what? Anyways, I was also going to ask how old you are and how long on pointe. Also, have you talked to your teacher about the shoes not fitting or been fitted professionaly and talked to someoen who can help out by doing a fitting?

smile.gif

~Lil~

• Administrators

Lil, since you are 16, you can post on either board cool.gif

Guest PrimaDivaBallerina

OF course. Well, i'm 14yrs. old and i've been on pointe for a year. i've taken all the pointe "tests" as my teachers called them, e.g. a good grand plie in the center, balancing in retire for 45 seconds, etc. of course that doesnt necessarily mean ur COMPLETELY ready but both my teachers and i felt that i was. i've been taking ballet classes since i was 3 yrs old and ever since i was 10 i've taken 5 ballet classes a week. i currently also have 3 tap classes and 3 jazz classes. 2 of the ballet classes r pointe. i have to say that i AM behind in technique-- i live in a VERY small town and i cant get to the city often (which is why i would LOVE to go to a ballet school!)

• Administrators

Thank you for the information, PrimaDiva. It sounds like you certainly have enough training to be on pointe, IF you also have control of your rotation and ability to straighten your knees, and of course flexible enough feet. How is your relevé on demi pointe? Can you get up on a high demi pointe? Can you piqué onto a straight knee and be at the top of your demi pointe immediately? Can you hold a pirouette position for a few seconds on demi pointe? (These things are more a criteria for pointe work than a grand plié in center, or holding a retiré position on flat.)

Guest PrimaDivaBallerina

yup, i can do all those...oh by the way i meant retire in demi pointe smile.gif but yes, i have pretty good turn out, its not perfect but its ALMOST THERE....hey guess what guess what guess what tho! i hope u dont consider this total spam, but i just HAD to say it, i'm so excited i'm shaking.....the SFBallet school is having auditions where i live for its SI!!!!! And my dance teacher is taking me and a few others!!! not that i expect to make the cut...but all the same its an AUDITION now i'll know what its like and this will open tons of new opportunities!!!! so i'll go with the saying "expect the worst, hope for the best!" yay! now i better go practice smile.gif

Guest LilacGirl

Hi, I'm also looking for new shoes and I have feet that are narorw at the heel then get wider, and it was suggested to me to try gamba 93's and Sansha 202's I'm going next weekend to be fitted, so I dont' know but maybe one of those would work for you??

~Lil~

i am sorry to post here, but for the pointe shoes, i would suggest Innovations. a friend of mine has kind of the same feet like you do and she just loves innovations and was angry when she couldn't buy them near us (she had to go to england or further and that's too expensive).

maybe it helps.

good luck with your search for pointes and your audition

~SKIP~

• Administrators

Skip, I'm afraid that I am not familiar with Innovations. Are they a make of shoe, or a model of one of the better known makers?

innovations is a brand of pointeshoes. i know that they're sold in london, but i don't know if they have a website or a shop elsewhere. i can ask my friend because she wears / wore innovations. another girl i know had soft-pointes made by innovations and she told me she had to get those fitted, but i don't think that happens with the points, as my friend gets them from a person in belgium.

it may take a while before i will be in touch with her though, but when i am in touch, i will ask her

~SKIP~

Guest hesterlover1

I don't know if these will work for you, but I used to wear Chacott Veronese IIs, and they were good for someone with a tapered, narrow heel. Also, they break in pretty quickly and are easy to get over pointe in--much more so than Blochs, which I have also worn. I don't have high arches at all, but they were easy for me to break in. I didn't really end up liking them anymore after I tried other brands of shoes (Bloch Aspirations and Grishko 2007s), but if there is somewhere you can go to try them on, they might be worth the try. I hope this helps and good luck! biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Okay Skip, and everyone, Pointe Shoe Addict has sent the web site address for Innovations! They are made by Dance Workshop 2000, and the address is www.danceworkshop2000.com