Ballet Talk for Dancers

Am I Behind??

Guest Firebird

Guest Firebird

Hi everyone!

OK, I'm just wondering something. I am 13, and am taking my RAD Grade 6 exam this year, because I moved to a small town where the next highest level was like 2nd year Advanced. I know that I should probably be in Grade 7 or 8, but I don't really have a choice. frown.gif Next year, my teacher said that she can give me private lessons in Elementary, but that's next year. What I'm wondering is, what's the normal age for someone to be in Grade 6? Am I behind?

*Heather*

I'M GOING TO SOUND LIKE A TOTAL NERD FOR SAYING THIS BUT, can someone please explain the grades (1-6, elemantary, etc.). The reason why I'm clueless of this is because I go to a competition school where you're on different lines and the better the line the better you are. I'm on the best line for my age group (7-10 grade). So could anybody please explain what are the key stuff you do in each class, please.

~Thanx~

Meghan, to explain the total content of Pre-Primary through grade 5 of RAD is more than this board was designed to hold. Suffice it to say that it's a gradual, progressive method of teaching ballet as advocated by the Royal Academy of Dance, headquartered in London. If you're interested in seeing what's involved in all these grades, I would recommend a book entitled Step by Step Ballet Class, try your local library first, or if you're willing to take the plunge, check it out at the Amazon banner at the top of this page. This book will explain Pre-Primary through grade 5, grade six and up are considered Higher Grades, and are a "recreational" track. Majors are now called Intermediate Foundation, Intermediate, and so forth, the old "Elementary" having been renamed "Intermediate" which it really is. Majors are considered the "vocational" track.