Ballet Talk for Dancers

increase rotation of your hip joint?!

Guest aeangel008

Guest aeangel008

Hi...I just borrowed a book from my friend called "classical ballet technique" and it says--It is generally impossible, beyond the age 11, to increase the degree of outward rotaion of the hip joint...I was wondering if that was true because I thought if you stretch enough you can increase your turnout. Also it says the ideal female body is 5'2"-5'8", 85-115 lbs, long neck, small bust, small posterior, thighs the same size as your calves, thin ankles, small head, long arms and hands, long legs with slight hyperextension and minimal visible bulk....I was wondering if this is true..or if some has changed because this book is pretty old...just wondering..thanks..Joelle smile.gif

Stuff and nonsense! Blatherskite! Codswallop! That's an indication of how people used to think in the 1960s, and why a lot of dancers today get badly messed up because their teachers haven't grown since then. If you stop and think, though that's a pretty broad range of height, but the weights are off - weight is only a number, it's not how you look! The silhouette is off, too. The "neo-mannerist" look isn't the only acceptable norm anymore. I doubt if it ever were. It would help me to know who the author of that book is, so I can look at it as a period reference.

• Administrators

I agree totally with Major Mel, and will just add that the idea of thighs being the same size as calves is totally absurd! eek.gif One would look deformed and totally disproportioned.

As to rotation, I think that the age where one can increase their rotation depends a lot on the individual and cannot be related to a definite number. Also, one can always learn to USE the rotation they have better, and make themselves look more turned out, even if they do not have great rotation. So, training and hard work matter here.

Guest aeangel008

ok thanks that makes me feel a lot better because I really dont fit those requirements!! The author is:Gretchen Ward Warren...the copyright is 1989! thanks again

Joelle!

OK, here's where we stand - Ms. Warren's book is splendid when it talks about technique, but the body aesthetic and developmental anatomy she quotes, probably in good faith, is hopelessly dated. Pay attention to the technical advice on how to do steps and exercises, for there is hardly any better book out there on it; but bear in mind that on those two other topics, the book is flawed.

• Administrators

The chart where she shows the "Ideal Female Dancers Body" is basically correct, however, I would disagree about the thigh and calve size part. Also, if you read the pages before that chart, she lists numerous exceptions to that ideal.

Guest aeangel008

Ok thank you! yes it is a great book and it explains thing very well! its helping me a lot!

thank you both for your help..ooo i didnt really take a look at that page ill go see right now!!

Joelle=)

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: aeangel008 ]

Guest aeangel008

ahh i see....while were on the subject of that book have you seen page 11...thats amazing! were u ever able to do that? tongue.gif p.s. also on pg 70 i have about 2 more centimeters to go and my toes will touch the ground!!

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: aeangel008 ]

• Administrators

I assume you are addressing that to me, so, the answer is yes, I could do that smile.gif

• Administrators

Actually, Joelle, I happen to be one of those with extreme natural flexibility, so I think I was probably always able to do that. I was very, very fortunate, and had one of those very close to ideal dancer's bodies.

And for the record, I could even do it. I just loosened up naturally over one four-month period, when my body was strong enough to fully support the flexibility I gained. Happened when I was about 18.

Guest aeangel008

wow you are very lucky..I think i have natural flexibility also because I can do the exercise shown on pg 10 easily and I can also do it when im on my stomach too!

*Joelle*

Well, that's good! smile.gif Actually, the amount of rotation you have naturally is hard to get to use fully. I never had complete 180º turnout, but I was pretty close, for a guy! I just lucked out in having the teachers who taught me to make the most of what I had, and make what I hadn't look better! (Like my stubby little legs! wink.gif )