Ballet Talk for Dancers

Where could I dance

dancingmeghan

K. I live in apartments (I'm used to a 5 bedroom house) & I live on the top floor, sharing a room w/ my sister. So I really don't have to any place to practice! I thought of the hallway but people would come in & out of there apartments...

any suggestions?!?

-Meghan

• Administrators

The things you should practice at home really don't take much space. You mentioned in another topic only being in your second year of training. You should be working on placement and barre work and stretching, and of course port de bras. These things don't take a lot of room. Clear a little space in your living room when you want to practice. No jumping and big moving steps though! :)

I should've mentioned I do practice "the basics" but my teachers said I'm an extremly fast learner & I'm now in a harder ballet class and I need to learn how to do the jumps (better).

• Administrators

Well, you can't practice jumps at home because the floors (usually) are not right for jumping and you could get hurt. Jumps should be practiced only in the studio.

It definitely seems as though you are dedicated and eager to learn. Does your school offer private classes? Instead of practicing those harder steps at home, where you run a greater risk of injury, and doing the step incorrectly, spend some extra time in the studio. Show up early, warm up properly, and practice. After class can be an option, too, if your class is open after hours. I do agree with Ms. Leigh, not only because she a professional, but she is right about not practicing larger steps at home. Stretching, and port de bras, and body alignment (is this a good idea, to work on body alignment?), can be worked on at home, but that should be enough. Hope this helps.

• Administrators

Absolutely a good idea to work on body alignment, but just be sure that you understand exactly what you are supposed to do and how to work on it! Ask your teacher to show you what you should be doing if you are not sure. :)

well, it's not what I wanted to hear, about the jumps 'cuz I really need to practise, but

you do have a point about jumping. & It's a great idea to ask for a private lesson...

thanx :)