Ballet Talk for Dancers

Too Young??

PinkShoes24

Hi! I've always wanted to go on pointe, but my teachers won't let me. They think I am too young. But most girls start when they're 12! They also won't let me because I'm the youngest in my class and even though I have the best technique in the class, (my teacher says) they're only going to let me get on pre pointe- NEXT year! I don't think this is fair and I did speak to my teacher about it and she says she would love it if I could be on pointe but my school won't let me go on-just because I'm too young! I don't think this is fair. What should I do? confused.gif

• Administrators

Kim, you must trust your teachers to do what is best for you. Are you still only 12?

• Administrators

Chrissydancer, advice to Young Dancers is given by the moderators here. Have you spent any time at all reading articles on Ballet Alert? There is SO much information on pointe work, and especially on the dangers involved in going on pointe either too young or before one is technically prepared. NO one is ready at 9. Period. End of discussion. Do some reading. There is an article on YD entitled Facts of Life about Pointe Work. Please read it. I will pull it up to the top right now. Again.

The fact that you were placed on pointe way too early does NOT make it right. I am delighted if you have not had any ill effects from it - YET. However, many may show up later.

It sounds to me like PinkShoes has a teacher who is being very careful and waiting until this particular young dancer is ready. Do you really think that you are more knowledgeable about this, having never even seen this dancer, than her teacher? In cyberspace non of us can know anything for sure, but telling someone it is okay to go on pointe is NOT the job of a very young dancer, especially one with the kind of training where she is placed on pointe at 9 years old. frown.gif

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Nope I'm not 12 anymore.I did ask my school director why can't I go on pointe and she said that I take ballet too seriously and I did tell her that I wanted to become a dancer when I get older and she said well if you have a problem with our school you couldjust leave! All I told her is that I want to become a dancer later on in life and she is practically kicking me out! So should I still tell her that I want to go on ponite o should I just wait for TWO years until I go on pointe?

AHA! The thick plottens, as they say. How long have you been studying, and how often do you take class? If it's only for a year, then your teacher is very well advised not to put you on pointe, because the technique and strength are not there yet. If you're taking fewer than three technique classes, preferably an hour and a half each, it will take you longer to develop these capabilities in order to safely do pointe work. "You're too serious" sounds like a misquote for what your teacher gave for a reason why you're not on pointe. Sure everything is OK between you two on a personal level?

Guest Christina_ballerina

I'm new here, so I'm not gonna give advice yet, but I thought maybe it might make you feel better to here my story. I've been doing ballet for 4 years. I was told I had natural talent. I'm going to brag, but I put ALOT into ballet. I always worked hard, no matter how difficult. It took me 3 1/2 years to go en pointe. I took 3 one and half hour technique classes weekly. I was 15 years old when I got on pointe. At my studio the youngest age to start pointe is 12 years old. There are only 2 girls at my studio that are 12 and on pointe. Most girls at my studio do not start pointe until they are 13. My teacher is very restrictive to who she allows on pointe. When you go on pointe has little to do with your age. I can tell you one thing for sure, pointe is one of the greatest challenges I've ever taken on. And I'm 15. It is not at all unusual for teachers to have thier students wait until they are in thier teens. I think that is a good idea. It can only help you to improve your technique before going on pointe. If you have very strong technique, it will make pointe work that much more easier. And trust me, you'll thank your teacher in 10 years. If you still think that your studio is not suited for someone on the professional path, you may want to look around at some of the well known studios with a good reputation. If you switch to a more professional studio it does not neccesarily mean they will let you on pointe sooner. This is a question that only the person who is instructing you can answer.

Christina, the ballerina

Good Luck, I hope that your dreams come true. But don't rush them. You have longer than you think.

Guest hesterlover1

Well, if you've never asked your teacher, how can you know if you're ready for pointework? If you're 12, I'd suggest asking her about it, calmly and reasonably. If she doesn't think you're ready, ask what you need to work on to be ready for pointework. I agree with Christina ballerina that if your teacher doesn't think you're ready, then WAIT! Sure, it's cool to be able to tell your friends you're on pointe, and to have those pretty satin shoes and all, but it's not worth the trouble you'll have later on if you go on pointe too early! eek.gif

This is your Administrator speaking:

If you are 12 years old, you may not post on this board. Ballet Alert! is for people 13 and over; this is clearly stated in the rules when you register, and you agree, when you register, that you are 13 or older.

• Administrators

Gottadance, I don't think that the administrators' warning was meant for you. I think this thread got confused, as the first poster who started the thread led us to think that perhaps she was not yet 13, although that was not clear. And then, with some students posting in response, it got more confused.

In any case, welcome to Ballet Alert! Online, and the Young Dancers forum smile.gif