Ballet Talk for Dancers

centre balance on pointe

Guest Christina_ballerina

Guest Christina_ballerina

Well, to begin with, I'm very good at balancing. I can find my center and hold it, when I'm in technique class and at the barre in pointe class. But it seems like as soon as I let go !whoa! my balance is everywhere. I'm not literally falling over. My teacher says I have strong ankles. I don't roll or anything. I just wobble when I try to do the simplest centre pointe work. I can do releves (from the all 5 positions) and tendus. That's it. I can do passes, arabesques, attitudes, battements, fondu developpe, and other balances on the barre with little trouble. It also seems like I can do turns easier than balances en pointe (though, even my turns aren't that good). I've been en pointe for 5 months. Is this normal for beginners en pointe? Will it just take time to learn to balance en pointe? I really would like to learn to balance better. I look so horribly funny (smile) trying to hold a passe or arabesque without the support of a barre. I understand it is difficult to balance your entire body wieght on the tips of your toes, but I know I can do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Christina, the ballerina

• Administrators

Yes, Christina, it is normal for a person who has only been on pointe for a few months to not be able to balance well yet, even if that person has very good balance on the demi pointe. It takes a lot of time and practice, just like anything else! smile.gif