Ballet Talk for Dancers

Height

Guest Zoe Watson

Guest Zoe Watson

I dont know if I can talk about this topic on this board; BUT I thought I'd try. I know that the world of ballet is developing but do I need to worry too much much if I'm tall and I want to go into the 'dancing buisness????' (If that's the right way to put it)Thankyou you so so much!

:):):)

Zoe

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Some people say (4 ballet) they like tall slender body's w/ long legs & w/ not a long torso, even thou I'm this, I don't think it matters that much. "As long as you have the talent & determination" is what my ex-ballet instructor told me!

:)

-Meghan

• Administrators

Well Zoe, there is tall, and then there is too tall. But where is the line drawn? There is a 6' tall ballerina in Pacific Northwest Ballet and she is beautiful! So, I would say that today one does not have to worry about it too much, as long as you are a wonderful dancer! I will say this, though, and that is that if one is exceptionally short or exceptionally tall, they do have to be exceptionally good, since they don't fit into a corps de ballet.

Guest Zoe Watson

Thankyou very much!

I'm a big fan of Darcey Bussell ( if you've heard of her); and she's my inspiration - partly because she's tall. I'm about 5,8 and I'm now very determined to become a very good English Dancer! :):):)

Lots of love,

Zoe

xxxxxxxxx

Guest toedancer23

Ms. Leigh, I am 5 feet 5 3/4" (almost 5'6"); is that too tall to fit into a corps de ballet? I am pretty sure I'm done growing. I usually seem to be one of the tallest in my classes.