Ballet Talk for Dancers

extensions

dancingmeghan

Even thou I'm strong...I have a hard time getting my leg above, this is embaressing, about 90ish degree's! & keep it out there!!!

& also when I go into an arabesque is there any way to get my leg higher & back straighter-would my *toosh* effect it?

:o

-Meghan

• Administrators

Meghan, time and patience. It takes a lot of both to get extensions above 90 and hold them there, and also to get decent arabesques.

For extensions, place your leg on the barre, lift it off and hold a few counts and place it down, then do it again. For arabesques, see the penché exercise I described on the thread about back flexibility.

hi meghan,I've got another practise to get higher legs, the only thing you need is someone to help you. ask this person to push your leg as high as possible for you and let it go. then you have to try to keep you leg where it was. lots of success!!!

Elf ;)

• Administrators

Elf, I think it might be best to leave the advice to the moderators here. I really don't like that practice that you mention, especially for young dancers who don't really have a good sense of exactly how to do something like that. If a teacher does it, that is different, as she knows where and how to hold the leg and also to keep the student placed properly. If not done correctly this could cause injury.

I just had class today and the question was brought up in class and she said to lift with your muscles inside of your thigh because they will get your leg way more higher, and most people aren't used to using the muscles, so they shake...sometimes. I was wondering when you use those muscles do you feel kind've a knot/ on your center of you leg? Or am I using the wrong muscles. I'll also ask my teacher but I'd like to practice.

• Administrators

Meghan, one should NOT feel a knot in the center of the leg when lifting it. While all of the muscles in the leg are involved with lifting, and the quad muscles will be fully engaged if your knee is straight, it also involves the hamstring muscles and strong abdominal muscles. I find it considerably easier to lift the leg by thinking of lifting it from underneath, using the hamstring muscles more than the quad muscles. Please don't forget that you are still only 13 and have very little training. I don't know how much natural flexibility you have, but even assuming that it is good, it will take more time to achieve well placed extensions above 90 degrees and even more time to be able to hold them them. All those muscles have to develop, and the ones that hold the leg up will be the last to develop. If there is any kind of pain or cramping then you are going too far for your current ability, or doing in incorrectly. I recommend that you do not practice anything at home until you are certain that you know exactly what you are doing, or you will just build in bad habits.

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Thanx much for helping me...I'll make sure to

get more help from my instructor about this I certainly don't want anymore bad habits :o

Guest BroadwayDiva8

I used to have the same problem with extensions (not getting it over 90 degrees) but then I started to stretch my hamstrings everyday and work on holding my leg up as long as I could and now my extentions are beautiful, so I guess you can do whatever works for you! ;)

i'm actually not allowed to post it and i don't mind if this post will be deleted. my teacher gave me a advice last year for lifting your leg with success.

think of your self as being in a big circle that's just a little longer than your length and the length of your legs when you stretch them out. so, if you lift your leg, try to make you legs long with the inside and back of your leg-muscles and not with the upper-part. in this way, you're lengthening your leg and it will become more easier to get your extensions. it also takes a lot of practise and a good placement of your weight.

~SKIP~

• Administrators

It's okay Skip, since you are just reporting what your teacher said, and she happens to be right :o I often use that same image of the circle.

That's a really good idea with the circle! Thanx for all the tips. So, just like everything, I have to just keep practicing... :o