Ballet Talk for Dancers

Starting again

Guest Quacker

Guest Quacker

I'm 16 and have been out of ballet about 4 years. I was preparing to go on pointe a few months after i quit. I have to take a placement class to return. I need to regain flexibility and technique before the placement class. Also how long before I'll be able to go on pointe?

• Administrators

Hello Quacker, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum here on Ballet Alert! Online :)

You can probably get some of the flexibility back by doing some Pilates work prior to the placement class, but there is really no way to get ballet technique without being in classes. Just concentrate on getting into good physical shape, and be prepared to start at a lower level for a while. There is absolutely no way we can tell you how long before pointe. It depends on way too many things, such as your own physical facility for ballet, how quickly you come back and relearn the technique, and also the quality and intensity of the training. How many classes a week you can take would make a difference in the length of time to get to the place where you might qualify for pointe work.

Guest ziva cvar

Hello,I have a question about geting in shape again. Is yoga and pilates the same thing for ballet or is pilates really bether? I've tried it but it didn't seem to me to be so well for ballet. Is yoga different because I haven't tried it yet?

Ziva, yoga is more philosophically-based than Pilates and concentrates on inner peace over physicality. Branches of it even tread into the religious. Yoga for dancers has to be adapted specially for them, as some of the classic yoga positions and motions work against ballet, as the lotus position encourages sickling in.

Guest Nadezhda

Is there a way to know that your pilates instructor is qualified in teaching pilates to dancers? There is pilates class in the nearby fitness centre, but I don't know how much I could benefit from the class as I don't know where the focal point of the class lies.